Rally in Chadoora in memory of Yatoo, clashes in Srinagar

Rally in Chadoora in memory of Yatoo, clashes in Srinagar
  • 5

Srinagar: Slain Hizbul commander Yasin Yatoo alias Mehmood Gaznavi was remembered by thousands of people on Friday who took out a pro-freedom rally in his native village in Budgam district.
Thousands of people participated in the peaceful protest march taken out in Nagam Chadoora area that went up to the home of Yatoo.
Itoo, whose death was termed a “huge loss” by the Hizbul Mujahideen, died fighting government forces in Awneera village of Shopian district in south Kashmir on August 13.
On Friday, people offered prayers at his grave, before making a beeline to his home to express solidarity with his family. Reports said that a complete shutdown was observed in Chadoora town and adjoining areas for the fifth consecutive day to mourn Yatoo’s death.
In Srinagar, clashes broke out between protestors and government forces in Nowhatta area outside the historic Jamia Masjid. Reports said that youths raised pro-freedom slogans soon after the congregational prayers ended.
“To stop the protests, government forces fired teargas shells, following which youths resorted to stone-pelting,” eyewitnesses said. They added that protests spread to Nawa Kadal area as well.
Reports coming for Eidgah area of Srinagar said that at least five youth were arrested during the intervening night of Thursday and Friday. “Five youths were arrested in the dead of night by cops from Safa Kadal police station,” a local said. “They belonged to Rathpora, Ganderpora and adjoining places.”
A cop at Safa Kadal police station instantly disconnected the phone when this reporter called to ask about the arrests.
In Hajin town of Bandipora, soon after the Friday prayers ended, youths assembled near the higher secondary school and raised pro-Pakistan and anti-India slogans.
“Clashes erupted between protestors and government forces who were deployed there in heavy numbers,” eyewitnesses said.
Locals of the area alleged that government forces resorted to ransacking of shops and damaged several windowpanes of residential houses.
However, a police official denied that they had ransacked any house.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.