Militant buried in Shopian village where his family members work

Militant buried in Shopian village where his family members work
  • 2

In Khanabal, protests and clashes after police raid at night

Shopian/Anantnag: A complete shutdown was observed on Wednesday in Pulwama to mourn the three rebels killed in a 30-hour gun battle at Bamnoo village.
The funeral of the third militant killed at Bamnoo, Akhtar Alam, took place amid pro-freedom and anti-India slogans at Khojpora village of Shopian district. Alam was a native of Reasi district. Khojpora locals told Kashmir Reader that the slain rebel had been buried in the village where his relatives live in tents, including his sister and mother who have worked in the village for the past six years.
Locals were seen offering their sympathies and condolences to the village’s nomad families. A paternal cousin of the slain militant told Kashmir Reader that Akhtar had been active in militancy since 2016, adding that he took up arms after the killing of Burhan Wani.
An audio clip did the rounds on social media in which an unidentified person urges the people of Shopian to follow the protest and strike calls of the resistance leadership.
Meanwhile clashes erupted late Tuesday night in Khanabal area of Anantnag district after police conducted nocturnal raids and arrests.
As per reports, police raided the houses of at least four youth who were allegedly involved in stone pelting.
Local sources told Kashmir Reader that at least two youths were arrested.
“Houses of two more youth were raided, and after they were not found there, their fathers were detained,” a local source said.
As news of the raids spread, people in the area came out and held protests.
The police used tear smoke shells and stun grenades to disperse the protestors, locals said.
Nobody was injured during the clashes.
The clashes and shelling are said to have continued for about an hour.
Anantnag SSP Altaf Khan told Kashmir Reader that some youth involved in stone pelting were arrested.
“Yes, we arrested some youth,” Khan said, refuting reports that tear smoke shells were fired.
“Only one stun grenade was used. Nothing more,” said Khan.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.