PANAJI: Former defence minister Manohar Parrikar has said the planning for the September 2016 surgical strikes in Pakistan-administered Kashmir started in June 2015 after the NSCN-K ambushed an army convoy in Manipur.
Recapping events that led to the surgical strike in September last year, Parrikar told a gathering of industrialists on Friday that he felt “insulted” when he heard about the June 4, 2015 incident in which 18 jawans were killed.
“The starting of September 29 (2016) surgical strike on the western border was 9th of June, 2015….We planned 15 months in advance. Additional troops were trained. Equipment was procured on priority basis,” he said.
The Swathi Weapon Locating Radar, developed by the DRDO, was used first in September 2016 to locate “firing units” of Pakistani Army, though the system was inducted officially three months later, Parrikar said.
It was thanks to the Swathi Radar that 40 firing units of Pakistani Army were destroyed, he added.