Srinagar: Authorities in Saudi Arabia have foiled a “terrorist action” targeting the Grand Mosque (Masjid-e-Haram) in Mecca, Aljazeera reported Saturday quoting officials.
Quoting Saudi interior ministry the report said that a man who planned to attack the mosque blew himself up when security forces surrounded a house in Mecca where he was hiding.
At least 11 people, including five policemen, were wounded in the collapse of a three-storey building where the suspect had barricaded himself.
Five other people, including one woman, were detained during the operation, reports said.
Since late 2014, Saudi Arabia has faced periodic bombings and shootings claimed by the ISIS.
Four people were killed last year days before the end of Ramadan in an explosion close to Islam’s second holiest site, the Prophet’s Mosque, in the city of Medina.
It was one of three suicide blasts around the kingdom on the same day, and which the US Central Intelligence Agency said bore the hallmarks of ISIS.