8 injured in clashes at Anantnag, shutdown in Kulgam, Pampore

8 injured in clashes at Anantnag, shutdown in Kulgam, Pampore

Anantnag: A complete shutdown was observed for the third consecutive day on Monday in Kulgam district, parts of Anantnag district, and in Pampore to mourn the killings of three Lashkar-e-Toiba militants. In main town Kulgam, Yaripora, Khudwani, Waimoh and many adjoining villages a complete shutdown was observed. Business establishments, offices, colleges and schools remained closed for the third consecutive day in these areas.
A partial shutdown was also observed in Bijbehara town where most of the shops remained closed. The shutdown did not affect the flow of traffic on the national highway.
Lashkar commander Junaid Mattoo and two other militants were killed late Friday evening in Arwani village of Kulgam district after a day-long gunfight.
Two civilians were also shot dead allegedly by government forces when protests erupted near the encounter site.
In Seer area of Anantnag, at least 8 people were injured when government forces quelled protests in the morning along the Khanabal-Pahalgam road.
According to reports, people came out in the morning in large numbers and raised pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. The government forces, to disperse the protesting people, used tear smoke shells and pellets, leaving at least 8 people injured.
“Some of them had pellets and others were injured with tear smoke shells. All of them were stable, however, and were discharged from here,” a doctor at the sub-district hospital at Seer told Kashmir Reader.
In Pampore, business establishments and schools remained closed in the town and adjoining areas. Locals said that banners with photographs of slain militant Adil Mushtaq Mir were hanging all along the road leading to Adil’s home. The banners also had some verses in praise of martyrdom.
Meanwhile, the chairperson of Muslim Khawateen Markaz, Yasmeen Raja called for a march to Frestabal Pampore on Tuesday. She appealed to the people of Pampore to reach Frestabal village to pay tributes to the slain militant Adil.
Meanwhile, army on Monday resorted to aerial firing during a cordon in Mahend village of Bijbehara. Army at around 7:30 pm arrived in the village and laid a cordon around Astan Mohalla locality. “Soon after the cordon was laid army fired several gun shots in air creating panic among the people,” locals told Kashmir Reader.
However, they said the cordon was lifted barely after an hour.

(KR File Photo)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.