Bar demands ‘judicial officer monitored’ probe into Pulwama man’s killing

Bar demands ‘judicial officer monitored’ probe into Pulwama man’s killing
  • 2

Srinagar: Kashmir High Court Bar Association (KHCBA) on Friday demanded investigation to be monitored by a judicial officer into the killing of Mohammad Yousuf Lone, whose bullet-riddled body was found in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
“Those who killed Lone should be brought to book and the investigation of the case should be monitored by a judicial officer to be appointed for the purpose, in consultation with the High Court,” a spokesman of the lawyer’s body said in a statement here.
While condemning the killing, the KHCBA said that Lone, a resident of Gadoora, was killed in the nearby Hakhripora village where the government forces had launched a cordon and search operation after receiving inputs about the presence of militants over there.
“According to the people of the village Mohammad Yousuf Lone was killed by the forces and his body was dumped in the Nalla,” the KHCBA added.
Police has blamed militants for Lone’s killing. In a statement issued here, a police spokesman said that initial investigation has revealed that Lone was fired upon by militants during the intervening night of May 18-19.
“A case FIR number 174/2017 under section 302 RPC and 7/27 Arms Act has been registered in police station Pulwama,” the spokesman said, adding, “Further investigation is going on.”
Meanwhile, the lawyers’ body also condemns the indiscriminate pellet firing and tear gas shelling by the forces, “guarding the residence of Superintendent of Police Kulgam and MLA Kulgam”, on the students of Government Degree College Kulgam who were protesting inside the college premises.
15 students, male and female, sustained injuries and one student them was hit with a pellet in his eye. A video journalist too was hit with pellet near his eye and both of them have been admitted to SMHS Hospital here for treatment.
“The ruthless forces also fired tear gas shells on girl students, who because of hailing of the teargas smoke, fainted on spot and had to be evacuated from the college to safer places,” the KHCBA said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.