Students’ clash with troops continue

Srinagar: Students continued to protest for the third consecutive day in Kashmir against the assault on college students in Pulwama last week. In Srinagar, female students of government higher secondary school Nawa Kadal took out a march in downtown Safa Kadal on Wednesday. Police swung into action and intercepted the students from marching ahead to Sekidafar area. The police also fired teargas shells to disperse the girls.
It was in the same area that a stone had hit a female college student, Iqra Misger, on her head and had fractured her skull on Monday. Since then, the government has closed all high schools, colleges and universities to prevent more protests.
Clashes erupted in several areas of north Kashmir between students and government forces after students tried to take out marches. Clashes broke out in Bomai area of Sopore when students of higher secondary school Bomai held street protests and the government forces had to resort to teargas shelling to disperse them, triggering further clashes. Witnesses said that the students were shouting anti-India and pro freedom slogans. No one was reportedly injured in the clashes.
Students of government boys’ higher secondary school Nadihal in Bandipora district blocked the Bandipora-Srinagar road outside the school and raised slogans. Similar protests by students were reported from Ajas village in the district, where students blocked the main road.
Clashes erupted in Palhalan in Baramulla when students of the government higher secondary school and other private schools in the area assembled and raised pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. They attempted to block the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad highway, prompting the police to fire teargas shells. After this, the students threw stones at the police. The clashes spread to adjacent areas and continued for hours. Many students, including girls, sustained minor injuries and some students fainted due to the teargas.
Students of government higher secondary school Delina in Baramulla blocked the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad road for some time but were dispersed by police after they fired teargas shells.
In Handwara, students of government higher secondary school Qalamabad took out a protest march. The students later dispersed peacefully.
Sources told Kashmir Reader that the Handwara police have released all the five students who were arrested during Monday’s student protests. No case has been registered against any of these students.
Students in Sogam area of Kupwara also held a peaceful protest on Wednesday.
Students from government boys higher secondary school Kangan boycotted their classes and assembled on Srinagar-Leh highway and marched towards degree college Kangan.
The protesting students said that they staged a march to show in solidarity with students who were injured forces actions on Monday.
Later minor clashes erupted between the forces and students. Police fired teargas shells and chased them away.