Sopore: A major power grid station in north Kashmir located at Sopore suffered major damage when flames engulfed it on Sunday morning. Police have registered a case and probe has begun to know the reasons for the incident.
According to reports massive fire broke out at 7:45 am on Sunday inside Sopore power grid station that suffered massive damage in the blaze. Eyewitnesses said that machinery and the material inside the station were caught in the inferno. However, timely action of the fire and emergency services and locals managed to douse the flames. There was no loss of life in the incident.
The cause of fire was being ascertained. When contacted police told Kashmir Reader that they have registered a report in the fire incident and started a probe. Prima facie, it appears that the fire has been caused due to short circuit, police said.
Executive engineer Riyaz Ahmed told Kashmir Reader that the incident has taken place due to negligence of the department. The machinery has not undergone timely and prerequisite repairs. “We are running old transformers for last many decades, which are prone to damages and faults. The higher authorities must look into this genuine issue to prevent such accidents in future,” he said.