Srinagar: A subordinate court has asked police to complete investigation into the killing of a youngster in Handwara within three months besides submitting fortnightly progress report. The court however rejected the plea of the slain youngster’s family to register second FIR into the killing of Bilal Ahmad Denthoo, one of the first youngsters slain during the 2016 uprising.
The family of the deceased last year moved an application through counsel advocates Nadeem Majeed and Sajad Rashid before chief judicial magistrate (CJM) Handwara to file an FIR against police after it had refused to file the counter FIR. The police before the court has argued that an FIR in the case was already lodged which was contested by family on the grounds that police has accused unknown person while the killers are known.
Bilal, according to police, was killed by unidentified gunmen on July 16. His family contested the police claim alleging that he was killed by a top police officer deployed in the district at that time.
“Though the court cannot direct the police to lodge second FIR for the same cause for which FIR has already registered…This court in view of the law laid down in Sakri Vasu (supra) has observed that Special investigation team was constituted to investigate the FIR 180/2016 registered in police station Kupwara has not done much efforts to complete the investigation,” the court order reads.
“The SIT investigator should keep in mind that he is investigating a case relating to the death of a young person and it is incumbent upon him to complete investigation without unnecessary delay… The in-charge SIT is directed to speed up the investigation and complete the investigation within three months from the date of the order,” the court said.
“The deputy inspector general of police (north Kashmir) and senior superintendent of police Kupwara is also directed to supervise the investigation… The SIT in-charge is also directed to submit the progress report fortnightly before JMIC Munsif Kupwara,” said the order.
Bilal’s family was consoled by Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti along-with those of two other slain civilians during a meeting held at Dak Bunglow in Kupwara in July 2016 when she attempted to reach out to the victim families. Mufti interacted with the family of Bilal for half an hour and promised justice to them within “three days”.