Tied in chains, Afzal would tell his son: Be kind, generous, helpful
  • 423
    Shares

Afzal Guru Hanging: Fourth Anniversary
Sopore: On the fourth anniversary of the secretive hanging of Afzal Guru inside New Delhi’s Tihar Jail, his home in Sopore – where live Guru’s wife Tabassum and son Ghalib – a ritual of remembrance was observed once again on Wednesday. For the fourth time in as many years, Afzal’s family invited some Imams to read the Quran, in which the young Ghalib read along, and food and Kashmiri tea (nun chai) was served the whole day to numerous visitors who came to pay their tributes.
Afzal’s hanging, “to satisfy the collective conscience” according to the Supreme Court, was done without informing his family members. His body was buried inside Tihar Jail instead of being given to his family.
Tabassum, his widow, told Kashmir Reader that she expected the “world’s biggest democracy” – and she did not mean it as a compliment – to at least return to her the diary in which her husband wrote about his time in jail, his copy of the Quran, his radio, his specs, his clothes and his books.
Tabassum also recounted the distressing memory of seeing her husband in chains in Tihar Jail.
“After Afzal sahib was arrested, I used to see him once a year, in August, for twenty-five minutes. Most of his body was in chains. It was painful to see him in that condition, but those twenty-five minutes were also a great relief at seeing him alive. I always took his leave with the hope that we will meet again the next year. By hanging him without informing us, they have snatched everything from me. Now my son Ghalib is my only hope; I see his father’s reflection in him,” Tabassum said.
“Despite claiming to be the largest democracy in the world, India did not hand over his body to us. At least they can give us the things which my husband used in the jail. I want those things. If they are there, then give them back to us, or let us know if they have been destroyed. Why are my husband’s personal belongings still in India’s possession?” she asked.
Tabassum also lamented that the present government in Kashmir, which had promised to bring Afzal’s remains back, has made no effort to fulfill that promise. “They are all the same when they are on the chair,” Tabassum said of Kashmir’s politicians.
Ghalib, who is in Class 12 now, was one-and-a-half year old when his father was arrested for the attack on the Indian Parliament in 2001. He was 13 years old when his father was hanged. Two years ago, Ghalib secured the 19th rank in the merit list of Class 10 board exams.
“I will never forget the day when I saw my father for the first time. It was in Delhi’s Tees Hazari court in 2004. He had chains around his neck, ankles and hands. After taking permission from a police officer, he came and sat beside us. He took me in his arms. I cried a lot at first because I felt scared at seeing this strange man with a long beard and in chains. But when he put his specs down and kissed my forehead, I stopped crying and all of a sudden I called him papa,” Ghalib said.
“After that meeting I used to irritate my mother a lot, asking her to take me to papa. She used to tell me, yes, we will meet him soon. I saw my father about ten times in my life. He always advised me to pursue the dream of my mother – which was to see me as a doctor – rather than pursuing his dream – of seeing me as a scholar. He always told me to be kind, generous and helpful. Those meetings will remain with me as the most beautiful part of my life,” Ghalib said.
Ghalib last saw his father in August 2012. Afzal was hanged in February 2013. Ghalib never saw his father’s body.
Tabassum recalled, “When Afzal sahib left home, I discovered thirty-two rupees in his trouser pocket. That little amount has been with me as a mark of remembrance of my beloved husband. My son keeps a copy of his father’s Quran, which Afzal sahib used to read in his spare time.”
Four years after Afzal Guru’s hanging, the collective conscience of society is still to be satisfied, it seems from the death sentence given to Muzaffar Ahmad Rather, a 23-year-old native of Kulgam, in a case of carrying fake currency and trying to cross over illegally into India from Bangladesh.

44 Responses to "Tied in chains, Afzal would tell his son: Be kind, generous, helpful"

1. Jayaram N   February 9, 2018 at 11:26 pm

Shame on India. Shame on us.

2. Sameena   February 24, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Yes this is the height of brutality

3. Sadia   February 21, 2017 at 9:51 pm

I agree with you mr abid … it’s just the difference of belief and ideas …

4. Abid   February 21, 2017 at 9:44 pm

‘One Man’s Terrorist is Another Man’s Freedom Fighter’

Whosoever has said it, cent percent true.

5. Basharat   February 21, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Well written mr asim

6. Basharat   February 21, 2017 at 9:25 pm

innocent lives bloodstains on the face of India .

7. Sadia   February 21, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Ms Sonia exactly right … mahatma Gandhi was a terrorist for Britishers but freedom fighter for Indians like wise he is freedom fighter for Kashmiris .. n yes it’s important to remind that the ppl who forced him accompany that terorist were none other than army officers and does that mean the so called Indian forces who claim to be patriotic ,just had links with those terrorists… this is the point we’re we need to think bcz he gave the name of the army officer also who forced him …

8. Sadia   February 21, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Mr or miss A human … stop these illiterate n stupid comments ,if the ppl who were killed have families then as a human don’t you see how many innocent youth and kids are being killed everyday in Kashmir ..your so called coward and bastard Indian soldiers doing brutality in each n every corner of the valley .. this author is not biased but you Indians are biased toward Kashmiri . This man is innocent and the educated ones know it and the illiterate ppl like you only talk about coins but never see the reality … and abt Islam ,Islam is the religion of peace

9. Khursheed   February 20, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Well said Ms. Sonia, but these people will not understand as their so calll nationalism has made them blind and they cannot see what’s right and wrong.
    A well crafted story, Kashmir Readers rocks.

10. Sonia   February 19, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Nitin dont forget that Bhagat Singh was also given death sentence by the British.was Bhagat singh a terrorist ? Your answer will be “No,Bhagat Singh was a freedom fighter” likewise Afzal Guru is a “freedom fighter” for Kashmiris but ‘a terrorist” for India.Now India is playing the British.Dont participate in stereotype.Use your own brain ‘why kashmiris are turning violent”.They are getting suffocated in captivity of India.They want freedom and Afzal Guru was one of freedom fighters of kashmir.Kashmir is in the same place where India was before independence.

11. Nawaab   February 17, 2017 at 10:30 pm

Nitin sahab …Zara books toh Khula dete and should read something new ,despite if speaking the parrot language …

12. A human   February 17, 2017 at 5:01 am

My only question to the author and readers…. The attack which was planned by him caused 12 people died…. I think they have similar stories why this author only writing one sided story…. Come on Mr author every coin has two faces…. Think about 12 people who had never thought or planned anything…. They were innocent and perhaps they might have never been to Kashmir….. And you call it shadat…. I am sure as per quran allah might have not given him space in hell…. As quran says killing innocent is about killing human in you

13. Sadia   February 14, 2017 at 9:23 am

Mr Nitin …plz I again request you to read the truth behind his confession ..do you know the then ACP of Delhi was a bastard bcz he had targeted his family n do you know that while he was interviewed that time he was beaten to the core by your then ACP of Delhi and your Indian media was just watching that and did not raise their voice ..if one journalist would have raised his/her voice then scenario would have been different …plz again I m telling you read and don’t b that bastard Arnab goswami ,bjp ka puppet ..

14. waseem   February 13, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Nitin, If you are so bold in stating that he confessed his crime but did you read why he confessed those crimes which he did not commit, because if he would not have done that, they would have targeted his family, also did you people allowed him a fair trial, I hope you know this fact as you are so much of into facts which your Indian media has made themselves to throw ash in the eyes of own people.

15. Nitin   February 13, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Sadia Ji, I don’t know which facts you are talking about, as he himself confessed his crime.

16. Sadia   February 13, 2017 at 7:11 pm

Well written piece and beautifully put the expressions of pain in your piece of writing …

17. Ifat   February 13, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Sadia, I completely agree with your comment made above, these people don’t know anything, just the things which Arnab Goswami has taught them.

They and their national security are blind.

18. Raees   February 13, 2017 at 5:54 pm

No Kashmiri can ever forget him …

19. Sadia   February 13, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Mr Nitin you can go through the real facts and Figures and then comment

20. Sadia   February 13, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Mr Nitin correct your facts and plz go through the actual story behind the attack n then talk about him .. please for reference read Arundhati Roy’s paper on the parliament attack .. you ppl only speak what had been showed to you by your corrupt politicians and fake system ,plz first read and research n then you can judge .. still what can Muslims expect from Indians ,only to biased and unequal and nil justice for Kashmiri Muslims …

21. Nitin   February 13, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Ms. Sadia, what this man has done, nobody has does such act in history, by attacking the highest house of our country, and than expecting mercy from the same is stupidity.

22. Ilhaan   February 13, 2017 at 8:36 am

He is a true shaheed bcz he was killed innocent and the blood stains are on Indian democracy

23. Muntaha   February 13, 2017 at 8:32 am

India has very long history of cheating and making up fake stories and the biggest one to blame is the Indian media ..Indian media is playing the role of petrol in fire ..the most responsible for Afzal guru hanging we’re the Indian media ..

24. Sadia   February 13, 2017 at 8:29 am

Mr Nitin ..don’t b blinded by your so called fake democracy n corrupt politicians .please go through the facts and cross check yourself n do read and I guess you will never say this kind of stuff again …

25. bilal   February 11, 2017 at 10:54 pm

Mortal remains of Mohd Maqbool and Afzal Guru, which they have refused to give back, will hunt Indian democracy forever.

26. firdoud   February 11, 2017 at 6:22 pm

Blood thirsty nationalists

27. Inam   February 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Touching and heart wrenching story, Allah give Afzal Guru Family strength.
    And Nitin according to this you should hang us all because in every house of Kashmir, there is one Afzal.

28. Sadia   February 11, 2017 at 11:43 am

It’s pathetic on part of India that Indian nation is scared of his mortal remains ,India fears a lot n that is why is not returning the mortal remains n his belongings
    Shame on your so called hollow democracy …

29. Nitin   February 11, 2017 at 12:56 am

what this man has done, he deserved to be punished.

30. Madiya   February 11, 2017 at 12:52 am

they talk about Pakistan terrorism what about their state terrorism which they have unleashed on innocent Kashmiri nation.

31. Ovais   February 11, 2017 at 12:40 am

Brilliant story.

32. Arif   February 11, 2017 at 12:37 am

Hanging Afzal Guru and then denying his mortal remains has completely exposed the type of India’s democracy.

33. younis   February 11, 2017 at 12:29 am

Even on the death row, the man uses to tell hi son, when meeting that be kind, generous and helpful and they hanged a man like him.
    Such a big shame, India will never recover from this hanging.

34. Waseem   February 10, 2017 at 11:42 pm

Even after his dead body remains inside Tihar jail, his soul is with us.
    May Allah give strength to your wife and son to come up with every obstacles in their life and be happy always.

35. Sadia   February 10, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Can only say what Arundhati Roy has rightly said that India just satisfied its collective conscious by hanging Afzal guru …according to me India is coward and absurd nation who secretly hanged an innocent person … may Allah bestow his soul the best….
    Shame India shame …

36. Junaid   February 10, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Nationalism of one kind or another was the cause of most of the genocide of the twentieth century. Flags are bits of colored cloth that governments use first to shrink-wrap people’s minds and then as ceremonial shrouds to bury the dead.

Famous quote of Arundhati Roy, fits perfectly.

37. Adnan   February 10, 2017 at 3:40 pm

They satisfy their conscience with the blood innocent people, blood thirsty conscience.

38. Shiv   February 10, 2017 at 11:43 am

India cant hide her face in the name of terrorism. The state can kill and bury many more Afzal Guru but cant avoid the question. The future generation will definitely raise questions.

39. Waseem   February 10, 2017 at 1:32 am

Afzal Guru was hanged to satisfy the dead conscience of India and indeed it will be a stain on India’s democracy forever.

40. Abid   February 10, 2017 at 1:26 am

A big blot on India’s democracy, which will remain there forever

41. Dia   February 10, 2017 at 1:19 am

Sending a man in gallows, without informing his family is a worst form of act, but what to do that’s what oppressor do with oppressed, but there is a limit to everything and someday this oppression will vanish.

42. Irshad Ahmed Vohra   February 10, 2017 at 12:36 am

So, this is the stuff that India is proud of. Unsubstantiated evidence to prosecute and brazenly kill an innocent person. Shame on a society that imposes its putrid nationalism on a Muslim majority. Flouting solemn pledges and international obligations. Would Israelis accept Hitler as an icon?

43. Iqbal   February 9, 2017 at 6:58 pm

May Allah bestow His soul with the very best in Hereafter.
    Afzal Shaheed doesn’t need our prayers.He had conquered death before his departure.It could be seen clearly from his last words which he had put on a paper few minutes prior to his hanging.
    The judge who satisfied the conscience of his Brahmin cult would have been dragged to the gallows had it been him in Afzal’s place.
    Such was the power of Afzal shaheed’s faith.

44. Naveed Bisati   February 9, 2017 at 2:16 am