Day 78: Shutdown, curbs, protests continue

Day 78: Shutdown, curbs, protests continue

SRINAGAR: Life in Kashmir remained crippled for 77th consecutive day, with shutdown and protests continuing in parts of the Valley.
In Srinagar district, life mainly paralyzed, with shops and business establishments remaining closed. However, a few private vehicles were seen moving in the uptown areas of the district.
Police said there was no curfew in Srinagar even as restrictions were in place in areas falling under the jurisdictions of Nowhatta, Khanyar and Maharaj Gunj police station in old Srinagar.
The joint pro-freedom leadership had called for marches to tehsil headquarters across the Valley with 12 hour relaxation from 6 pm onwards.
In north Kashmir, complete shutdown was observed in the districts, while people mourning the death of the youth marched to Rafiabad, native village of the slain youth.
The district administration had also put strict measures in place to thwart any kind of protests in Baramulla district.
In wake of the fresh killing, cell-phone services were suspended by the authorities on Friday night in north Kashmir.
“Only BSNL phones are working. All private mobile phone services have been barred without any reason or explanation,” said a Sopore resident.
In South Kashmir, a private restaurant-cum-guesthouse was damaged allegedly by government forces at Verinag late on Friday.

Troops laid siege around Jamia Masjid Shangas on Saturday | Photo: Muneeb Gull
Troops laid siege around Jamia Masjid Shangas on Saturday | Photo: Muneeb Gull

The owner of the restaurant, Muhammad Amin Shaikh, accused forces of damaging his property worth lakhs of rupees.
At least four civilians got injured when government forces fired tear gas canisters and pellets to foil a pro-freedom rally in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district.
Reports said that people of Shangus and its adjoining areas tried to take out a pro-freedom rally towards Markaz-i-Jamia Masjid.
But the move was foiled by government forces, with the government forces having sealed all routes to the venue. “The forces started firing tear gas canisters and pellets, resulting in intense clashes,” the eyewitnesses said.
In the clashes four people were hit by pellets and were shifted to PHC Nowgam.
Later, one of the injured was referred to Anantnag District Hospital for treatment.
Meanwhile, locals of Bongam alleged that forces damaged 100 KV electricity transformer in the area and arrested many people.
Later, protests were also held against arrest spree.
The reports reaching from central districts of Ganderbal said that ‘Lar Chalo’ programme called by the joint pro-freedom leadership was foiled by the authorities.
According to reports, the forces were deployed at all entry points to Lar.
There are no reports of any protest taking place in the district.
Meanwhile three youth identified as Bashir Ahmad Rather, Nawaz Ahmad Rather and Abrar Ahmad Lone all residents of Kangan were arrested by police.
Another youth identified as Fayaz Ahmed Mir from Beehama was also arrested and later shifted to the Central Jail in Srinagar.
The number of youth booked under PSA in the district has now reached 15, reports said.
While shops and other business establishments remained closed in the entire district, transport also remained off the roads, barring a few private vehicles seen plying on Sonamaag-Srinagar highway.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.