No end to killings, 20-yr-old shot dead

More than a hundred injured by government forces across Valley
Srinagar: A 20-year-old youth of Nadihal village in Baramulla district was shot dead by government forces on Wednesday. Identified as Danish Manzoor Lone, the youth was hit by two bullets in his abdomen and was brought dead to district hospital Baramulla, a doctor at the hospital told Kashmir Reader.
Witnesses said that government troops attacked the people of Nadihal village when they were holding a protest demonstration against the ransacking of residential houses by troops. “As soon as the patrolling troops arrived at the village, they opened indiscriminate firing and killed a youth on the spot,” said a person who was injured by a bullet in his back.
He said that before the patrolling troops came to the village, a convoy of government forces had passed through the area and “nobody attacked them”. “Our protest was peaceful and yet the forces attacked us with bullets,” he said.
Five others were injured in the firing and were admitted to district hospital Baramulla from where two youths, both hit by bullets, were referred to SKIMS.
The killing of Danish Manzoor led to intense clashes with government troops in his native village. Scores of people from several adjoining villages rushed to his home and held demonstrations against the killing.
Witnesses said that thousands of people offered funeral prayers for the slain youth.
Earlier in the day, clashes between youths and government forces in several areas of Kashmir left more than a hundred people injured. About a 100 people were injured when forces attacked two pro-freedom seminars at two separate venues with pellet firing and teargas shelling.
Witnesses said that forces entered Tengbal and Kakroosa villages and lobbed scores of teargas shells at the venue of the seminars. The shelling led to clashes between people and troops.
Witnesses said that troops damaged the stage erected by locals for the rally and beat up several people. A local Imam and a few women were among the injured, who were rushed to hospitals in Kulgam and Anantnag districts.
At least 60 persons were injured at Karshangam village of Aishmuqam in Anantnag district when forces raided a pro-freedom seminar-cum-rally, triggering intense clashes at the venue. Witnesses said that a heavy contingent of forces entered the village and fired teargas shells and pellets to chase away the rally participants. The people, who came from dozens of nearby villages, made a counter attack and hurled rocks at the forces. Dozens of teargas shells and pellet fires were shot by the troops and pitched battles continued for several hours. The injured were shifted to sub-district hospital Seer and Muqam where their condition is said to be stable.
In Khudwani village of Qaimoh in Kulgam district, more than 20 people sustained injuries after clashes erupted between youths and forces in the area. Two persons have reportedly suffered pellet injuries in eyes and head.
As many as 40 people were injured by government forces at Meer Mohalla and Shiekh Mohalla areas of Pulwama district after a protest march was attacked with pellet firing. Witnesses said that forces shot rounds of pellets and teargas shells at the protesters and injured dozens there. A local mosque was also damaged by the forces, they said. The injured were shifted to different health facilities in Pulwama.
At least 22 people sustained injuries at Bogund, Wakea and Tullinowpora villages in Kulgam during clashes between youth and forces.
Scores of people participated in a protest rally in old Srinagar that started from main Gojwara chowk and marched towards Nowhatta. Witnesses said that troops intercepted the march near Jamia Masjid and fired dozens of teargas canisters at the protesters. The clashes lasted for a few hours and left several people injured. Participants in the rally said that they had informed police and paramilitary forces that they will hold a peaceful demonstration.
Five persons were injured in Aarhama area of Shopian district when troops attacked a protest demonstration. Sources said that eight persons were rushed to district hospital Shopian and two injured were taken to a Srinagar hospital. One of the two injured has been hit with pellets in his eyes.
A huge protest demonstration was held in Nagbal and Zainapora villages in Shopian district that saw participation of thousands of people.
Local sources in Dailgam village of Anantnag district told Kashmir Reader that 17 people sustained injuries after forces, without any provocation, fired pellets at a group of people. The injured were shifted to district hospital Anantnag and other health facilities in the district. Later, locals held a demonstration against the forces.
About a dozen people were injured in Harnag village in Anantnag after forces fired teargas canisters and pellets at a pro-freedom procession which was coming from Khudwani village. Witnesses said that thousands of people raising pro-freedom and anti-India slogans were marching towards the Srinagar-Jammu national highway. As soon as the protesters reached near Harnag highway crossing, forces fired pellets and teargas shells at the procession that left a dozen persons injured. Four among the injured were taken to district hospital Anantnag while the rest were treated at Quimoo hospital. A doctor at DH Anantnag said that two of the injured were referred to Srinagar.
“One of them had been hit by pellets in his left eye while another was hit by teargas shell in his neck. Two others are being treated here,” the doctor at DH Anantnag said.
Demonstrations took place in Anchidora and SK colony areas of Anantnag town against the arrest of two elderly men and the ransacking of houses by government troops. The protesters demanded immediate release of the arrested youths and an end to the arrest spree. Raids by troops were also reported from nearby Dabruna village where an elderly man, Farooq Ahmad Dar, was picked up by police.
A pro-freedom rally was held at Hajin area of Bandipora district. Following the pro-freedom leadership’s call, people of the area offered Zuhr prayers on the road at the main market of Hajin. Witnesses said that soon after the prayers, people held massive protests and raised pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. The rally later moved through interiors of the area.
A bike rally was also held at Naidkhai area of Bandipora that passed through different localities in the area. Youth carrying black and green flags raised pro-freedom slogans.
Amid heavy restrictions, clashes erupted in Handwara, Nutnussa, Drugmulla and few other areas of Kupwara where a dozen persons were injured after forces fired pellets and teargas shells at protesters.
Six persons were injured during clashes that erupted at Bumhuma in Drugmulla area and at Nutnussa in Handwara. One among the six inured was hit with pellets in his eye. He was rushed to SMHS hospital in Srinagar.
Hundreds of people hit the streets raising anti-India and pro-freedom slogans at Malik Mohalla, Mir Mohalla, Darzipora, Regipora, and Jamia Qadeem areas in Kupwara town, and in Bumhama, Drugmulla, Nutnussa and Kawari areas of the district. The forces resorted to pellet and teargas firing and left at least a dozen persons injured.
Residents of several localities of Jamia Qadeem, Malik Mohalla, Bumhama, Drugmulla and Nutnussa areas alleged that troops ransacked residential houses, damaged vehicles and broke windowpanes.
Clashes erupted near Fruit Mandi Sopore during morning hours after vehicles carrying fruits were stopped by forces. As per reports, army personnel stopped traders from doing their work and dictated them to resume work only after 9am.
This “dictate” angered people and they held demonstrations against the forces while raising pro-freedom slogans. Witnesses said that the forces fired teargas and pellets to disperse the protesters. At least nine traders were injured after being hit by pellets, witnesses said.
At least eight people were injured in Kaloosa village in Bandipora district after forces fired pellets at a group of people protesting against the “brutality” of government forces. One among them was hit by pellets in the eye and was referred to Srinagar for treatment. Reportedly, a 14-year-old girl was also injured in the area.
Thousands of people took out a peaceful pro-freedom rally in Palhallan area of Baramulla district. Early in the morning, hundreds of men, mostly youths, assembled near the Martyrs’ Graveyard at Raipora, Palhallan, and took out a pro-freedom rally, witnesses told Kashmir Reader.
Carrying Pakistani flags and chanting vociferous pro-Azadi, pro-Islam and pro-militants slogans, the rally passed through Goshbug, Wussan and other villages, as more and more people from neighbouring villages joined the rally. The demonstrators took the rally to Naidkhai, where a peaceful sit-in was held for some time. Later, the rally culminated peacefully at Palhallan on its return.
A senior Hurriyat Conference leader and ex-secretary of United APHC Dr GM Hubi was arrested by a police party headed by SHO police station Chrar-e-Sharif from his residence at Chrar-e-Sharief in Budgam district. He has been booked under PSA, on orders passed by DC Budgam on August 30. He has been lodged at Kotbalwal central jail in Jammu.
A statement issued here by Divisional Commissioner Kashmir, said, “With the improvement in overall situation, curfew has been lifted from all areas of Kashmir valley today.”
“Curfew was today lifted from Nowhatta and Maharajgunj areas of Srinagar. With this, curfew has now been lifted from entire Kashmir valley as no area in any district of valley is under restrictions,” the Divisional Commissioner said.
“As per a report from the police, a mob of more than 900 people attacked an army convoy at Ladoora, Rafiabad, and amidst stone pelting some fires were shot on the army convoy on way to Kupwara. The Army fired some rounds in air to disperse the mob. In the incident 4 persons were injured and one of the injured identified as Danish Manzoor Lone, S/O Manzoor Ahmed Lone R/O Nadihal Sopore, succumbed to injuries. Police have initiated investigation in the matter,” the statement by the DC said.
At least three persons were injured in Chattabal area of Srinagar after forces resorted to heavy teargas and pellet firing to disperse protesters. One person has been hit in the eye and has been admitted to SMHS hospital.
—With inputs from Mushtaq Ahmad, Owais Farooqi, Bilal Habib and Nissar Malik,Gowhar Maqbool

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.