Unrestrained force injures a hundred more

Srinagar: The repression of protesters with brute force continued on the 53rd day of the anti-India uprising in Kashmir, leaving more than a hundred injured. Government forces also continued to attack and terrorise ordinary people by ransacking their homes and beating up inmates, sparing neither women and children nor the elderly.
Nearly 50 persons were injured after clashes broke out between youths and government forces in Wathoo village of Shopian district on Tuesday. Witnesses said that a pro-freedom rally was being held in the village that was attacked by the forces with heavy shelling. The people resisted the forces’ action and hurled rocks at troops. The troops resorted to teargas shelling and pellet firing to scatter the protesters.
A local journalist identified as Aijaz Ahmad was hit by a few pellets. He along with other injured were rushed to Shopian district hospital and nearby health centres. Later, a huge rally that witnessed a participation of thousands was organised at the village.
In Kaloosa village in north Kashmir’s Bandipora district, 35 persons, including four women, were injured when government forces beat up local residents after barging into their houses. Witnesses told Kashmir Reader that the forces fires teargas and pellets at a group of people protesting against the excesses of government forces against the locals. Later the troops barged into homes and beat inmates including dozens of women.
“The forces inhumanly beat us and even harassed and mercilessly thrashed some of our women and children as well,” an injured from the village said.
All the injured were shifted to district hospital Bandipora, from where nine injured, including a lady, were referred to SKIMS hospital due to severity of their injuries, sources said.
At least 20 persons were injured after forces raided Panzath village in Kulgam district to foil a scheduled pro-freedom rally there. Witnesses said that the forces reached the village and without any provocation resorted to heavy teargas and pellet gun firing, creating panic at the rally venue.
“The tents which were erected to accommodate people have been brought down and taken away by police,” local reports said, “but people resisted the move and clashes took place in the area.”
The people assembled once again and pelted troops with stones and pushed them back from the venue. The injured were shifted to nearby heath facilities.
Later, when clashes ended in the area, thousands of people assembled in Government High School ground and held a massive pro-freedom rally.
People from many villages including Nowpora, Mehmoodabad, Dooru, Shankar Pora, Wanpora, Qazigund participated in the rally where Tehreek-e-Hurriyat Islamabad chief Mir Hafizullah addressed them.
At least 10 people, including an elderly woman, sustained injuries during clashes that took place after forces went berserk in Mehmoodabad Nathipora village of Dooru area of Anantnag district.  Witnesses said that the forces, without any provocation, “terrorised” locals by damaging property in the area.
People came out of their houses and protested against the “highhandedness” of the forces, after which the forces lobbed teargas and fired pellets to scatter the protesters.
Sources said that a 55-year-old woman, identified as Sara Begum, received pellet injuries and Ghulam Hassan Bhat, 60, was arrested by the police.
Clashes erupted in Batamaloo area of Srinagar after a pro-freedom march carried out by locals was intercepted by the forces.
The troops lobbed several rounds of tear smoke canisters while youth in return hurled stones at them. The clashed continued for several hours in which six people sustained injuries.
Witnesses said that the forces removed the blockades erected by the locals and entered the area. The forces fired several teargas shells and pellets to disperse the protesters.
Locals said that the forces damaged private property and broke windowpanes of several residential houses, including of photojournalist Danish Ismail. The Kashmir Press Photographers Association condemned the attack on Ismail’s house by police and CRPF, which took place when Ismail was not at home.
At least three persons were injured in firing by government forces after clashes erupted near Sabzi Market in Soura late afternoon.
Witnesses told Kashmir Reader that troops fired several rounds of teargas and pellets at protesters, leaving three persons injured. A 15-year-old was hit by pellets in his eye during the clashes. The injured were shifted to nearby SKIMS hospital for treatment.
Earlier, an all-women protest rally was carried out from Jenab Saheb Anchar to main chowk Soura led by activists of Dukhtaran-e-Millat. The protesters, carrying green flags, shouted anti-India and pro-freedom slogans. The rally, attended by scores of participants, was addressed by DeM chief Asiya Andrabi.
Five elderly people were injured after forces thrashed locals at Dathipora Chogulpora in Kulgam district. Among the injured persons, Mohammad Yousuf, Abdul Rashid and Mohammad Yaseen were admitted to district hospital Kulgam.
Two persons were injured during clashes on Monday night at Srindoo in Kulgam district. They were referred to SKIMS Soura.
A massive protest demonstration was held in Sadunara village of north Kashmir’s Bandipora district on Monday where at least 25 suffered injuries when forces beat up villagers.
Protests were also held in Ajas area of the district against the “brutality” committed on locals by the forces. The locals alleged that the forces ransacked dozens of residential houses and broke their windowpanes.
A protest demonstration was held at Ajas, Kaloosa, Potushai and other areas of Bandipora district that saw the participation of hundreds of people including men, women and children.
Locals said that soldiers of the army’s Rashtriya Rifles entered Ajas and adjoining Soodnoor areas on Monday and thrashed locals while damaging private property worth lakhs of rupees in the area. More than two dozen people were injured.
Following the call by the united pro-freedom leadership, several all-women protest rallies were carried out in south Kashmir districts where thousands of women participated. The rallies were organised at Srigufwara area of Anantnag, Mohanpora village in Kulgam, Tral town and Dadsara, and Pantha Chowk area of Srinagar. The rallies were led by activists of DeM.
A protest demonstration was held at Hathlangoo area of Sopore in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district. Scores of people took part in the demonstrations.
Clashes erupted at Cement bridge Baramulla between youths and government forces during which teargas canisters were fired to chase away protesters.
A large number of people including women and children staged a sit-in protest at Azadgung chowk in old town Baramulla against the civilian killings. Eerlier, people offered Zuhr prayers on road near main chowk Azadgunj.
A huge protest rally was carried out from Aloosa to Kralpora in which thousands took part. Protest demonstrations were also held at several places in the border district of Kupwara.
Many youths were injured in Trehgam in Kupwara when forces fired teargas shells, pellets and other ammunition on protestors. The injured were treated at a local health facility.
Two volunteers of Social Reforms Organization (SRO), Adnan Ashraf, 17, and Shahid Ahmad, 22, were severally beaten and injured by the forces near Reck Ckowk in Batamaloo when they were coming back to SMHS hospital.
President of SRO Batamaloo, Irfan Ahmad, said that the duo sustained serious injuries and were admitted to hospital. “The beating has caused fractures to both volunteers,” he said.
Sources said that clashes erupted in Khonmoh area of Srinagar after youths attacked an army convoy that was passing through the area. Youths hurled rocks at the forces and shouted anti-India slogans.
According to a statement issued by the police, “curfew has been lifted from whole of the Kashmir valley except two Police Stations of Nowhatta and MR Gunj in Srinagar”.
“Greater movement of private, passenger vehicular traffic and people was observed in major areas of the Valley including Srinagar city today,” the statement said.
“Stone pelting incidents were reported from Batamaloo and Bagh-e-Mehtab in Srinagar, Chankipora and Main Chowk, Sopore, Mehmoodabad in Dooru and Kaloosa in Bandipora where miscreants in their attempts to disturb the situation pelted stones on police and security force deployments,” the statement said.

-with inputs from Gowhar Maqbool, Owais Farooqi, Bilal Habib and Mushtaq Ahmad

One Response to "Unrestrained force injures a hundred more"

  1. Pingback: The Book That Shook Me Awake: The Case for Freedom in Kashmir | From Chaos to Catharsis

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.