Day 46: No let up in siege

Day 46: No let up in siege

3 critically injured persons admitted to SKIMS; protests, clashes in many parts of valley

The BSF troopers patrol Regal Chowk, Srinagar | Photo Faisal Khan
The BSF troopers patrol Regal Chowk, Srinagar | Photo Faisal Khan

SRINAGAR: About two dozen people were injured when government forces fired teargas canisters and pellets on protesters  in various parts of the valley on Tuesday, the 46th day of the raging anti-India uprising.
In Shopian district, dozens of civilians were injured after government forces fired teargas canisters and pellets into a procession. In Nowgam village of the same district, at least 14 people were injured, including a 70-year-old man, when police fired pellets at them. Three of the severely injured people have been admitted to the SKIMS, Soura, for treatment.
In Chakoora, Shopian, four civilians were injured during a clash between protesters and government forces.
Medical superintendent SMHS Hospital Dr Nazir Chowdhary said eight people who were injured during clashes in Srinagar were admitted to the hospital.
At Zaffron colony in Pampore, police thwarted a pro-freedom demonstration by firing teargas canisters and sealing Sempora- Balhama road with razor wire.
In north Kashmir, amid a complete shutdown, a few incidents of protests followed by clashes were reported from old town Baramulla, Khawajabagh, Seelu Sopore. The residents of these areas have accused government forces of damaging their properties during the past few days.
People took to the streets and held a pro freedom rally in Baharmpora village of Baramulla after a special police officer working with the notorious SOG resigned from his job and joined a pro-freedom rally.
In Bandipora’s Kaloosa, Maloosa and Sheikhpora localities, police thwarted peaceful protests, which later morphed into clashes between protesters and forces.
In Srinagar, where thousands of policemen and troopers have been deployed to enforce curfew and restrictions, movement of people and vehicles was allowed during the day. But the troops aggressively enforced curfew at 6pm, which the resistance camp had announced as time for relaxation in the shutdown.
Kashmir Reader photojournalist Muzamil Matoo was manhandled by  police at Dalgate in the evening. Muzamil, along with another photojournalist, were heading towards Nowpora.
“Police stopped us and started beating us. Although we showed our press identity cards but they responded with batons,” Matoo said.
Two pro-freedom rallies, one an all-woman demonstration, were held in Jenab Saheb area of Soura .
Pro-freedom rallies were held in Hajin. In Naid Khai, women marched in the interiors of the area.
In Pulwama, a peaceful protest was staged by the activists of Dukhtaran-i-Milat in Tral.
Asr prayers were held on road in Rahmatpora, Pulwama, while in Trisoo, protesters clashed with government forces.
In Anantnag’s Shangus area, a pro-freedom march was held.
On Monday night, unidentified men sealed two dozen medical shops with adhesive taps near sub-district hospital in Tral, Bala. Medical shops have been exempted from shutdown by the resistance leadership.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.