No let up in state force: teenager shot dead in Srinagar

No let up in state force: teenager shot dead in Srinagar

In Anantnag, B.Tech student critically injured; in Baramulla village, 70 injured after raid by police; forces ransacking homes, picking up youth across Valley

A policeman asks for identity proof in Srinagar on Sunday | Photo: Muzamil Mattoo
A policeman asks for identity proof in Srinagar on Sunday | Photo: Muzamil Mattoo

Srinagar: An 18-year-old youth, Irfan Ahmad, was killed near Malaratta in Nowhatta area of downtown Srinagar when he was hit in his chest by a teargas shell fired by government forces during clashes that erupted late on Sunday evening.
Sources at SMHS hospital told Kashmir Reader that the youth was hit by a teargas shell in his chest and was brought dead to the hospital. The slain youth was a resident of Fateh Kadal area of Srinagar.
Hundreds of people rushed towards the house of the slain youth as soon as the news of his death spread in the locality.

Irfan Ahmad
Irfan Ahmad

Irfan Ahmad’s was the 68th death in government action since the anti-India uprising began on July 8 after Burhan Wani’s killing. On Sunday, the 44th day of the uprising, scores more were injured in different parts of the Valley, 70 of them at a village in Rafiabad area of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district following a raid by government forces to arrest youth on charges of stone-pelting.
Witnesses said that a heavy contingent of forces raided the Baharampora village at 2pm to arrest some youths. When the locals resisted the move, they were fired upon with live ammunition. Intense clashes followed, with angry youth hurling rocks at the forces and coming under heavy teargas, pellet gun and aerial firing.
Witnesses said that a marriage party being held in the village was also attacked by the forces with teargas shells.
The severely injured were shifted to nearby health centres where most of the injured after receiving treatment were discharged. The locals alleged that the forces ransacked several houses and damaged property while “unleashing terror in the locality”.
At least six persons sustained injuries in Trumgund village of Baramulla district when government forces attacked a group of people protesting against harassment and ransacking of residential houses during Saturday night by government forces.
Witnesses said that the forces lobbed several rounds of teargas and pellet fires to scatter the protesters which included several women and aged persons. Angry youths hurled stones at the forces, leading to clashes in which two women were among six people injured in firing.
According to locals, the forces thrashed windowpanes of several residential houses and damaged property, which led to locals holding demonstrations in the area.
In several areas of Baramulla district, heavy restrictions were imposed by the government to thwart any movement of civilians. All the four bridges connecting old town Baramulla with rest of the area were blocked with concertina wires and a heavy contingent of forces was deployed there.
Clashes erupted at several places in the district including at Khojha Bagh where police had picked up two youths during night raids. The youth pelted forces with stones while the forces lobbed tearsmoke canisters to disperse the protesters.
Sources said that raids were conducted at midnight in Qadeem Mohalla area of Khojha Bagh where forces barged into houses and picked up two youths, taking them away to an unknown police station.
Clashes erupted between youths and forces at Hyderpora area of Srinagar in which at least six people were injured. Forces had attacked with teargas and pellets fires a group of people protesting against the civilian killings. Three youths, all of them students aged between 16 and 22, sustained pellet injuries and were shifted to SMHS hospital.
A 21-year-old BTech student Adil Rashid along with another youth were critically injured after being hit by pellets in Mominabad area of Anantnag during clashes with government forces. He was taken to district hospital Anantnag from where doctors referred him to Srinagar.
“He has received multiple pellet injuries, including in both of his eyes. His left eye has been damaged,” a doctor at district hospital Anantnag said. The other youth was hit in the arm and is undergoing treatment at district hospital Anantnag.
Sources said that Tahir Ahmed, a resident of Azad colony, Soura, suffered a mild heart attack when forces deployed at Safa Kadal allegedly misbehaved with his wife while he was heading towards Government Dental College after his wife complained of toothache.
Residents of Gowkadal area said that government forces went berserk on late Saturday evening and smashed windowpanes of dozens of residential houses and thrashed several residents of the locality.
“On late night Saturday, the police and CRPF personnel barged into residential houses without any provocation and beat up several inmates there,” a local said.
On Sunday, government forces sealed all entry and exit points leading to commercial hub Lal Chowk and imposed strict curfew in the area and adjoining localities. Commuters said that the forces didn’t allow them to buy essential services and even medicines. “Even curfew passes issued by the administration aren’t being entertained by the forces,” a resident of Srinagar said.
Thousands of people from various villages of Pulwama district participated in a pro-freedom rally organized by the local people. A similar rally was organized in Wasoora area of the district. The participants, amid waving of green flags, raised anti-India and pro-freedom slogans.
Several religious scholars from all schools of thought and activists of pro-freedom parties addressed the rallies.
Reports said that forces savagely beat up five milk van drivers in Newa village of Pulwama when they were heading towards Srinagar hospital to deliver milk. Drivers who had left from SIDCO Lasispora, Pulwama, said a large deployment of forces stopped them near Newa during afternoon hours and without asking anything started thrashing them brutally.
According to a statement issued by the Zonal Police Headquarters, Kashmir, three incidents of stone-pelting were reported from Ganderbal and Sopore.
“These incidents were reported from Kangan in Ganderbal, Trumgund and Behrampora in Sopore. The miscreants assembled on roads and pelted stones on police and security forces,” the statement said.
“Apart from these incidents, the situation remained under control across the valley till the filing of this report. Restrictions under Section 144/CrPC remained in force in the valley. However, curfew was imposed in Srinagar city, town Anantnag and Pampore only,” said the statement.
With inputs from Mushtaq Ahmad, Bilal Habib and Owais Farooqi

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.