MLA Shopian’s house attacked

Curfew continues; protests held in Kupwara, Anantnag
Srinagar: Tensions in curfewed Kashmir intensified on Thursday, the 41st day of the massive military crackdown in the aftermath of Burhan Wani’s killing, after army beat to death a lecturer in Khrew last night.
Thousands of policemen and troopers enforced curfew, blocking all main roads leading to Srinagar with concertina wire to prevent a march, called by the resistance leadership, to the
UN-appointed military observer in United Nations Military Observers’ Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) office at Sonwar in the capital.
The government forces have foiled most attempts of the people to reach Sonwar.
While senior pro-freedom leaders Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq were detained for the day after they attempted to march towards Sonwar on Wednesday, most of the pro-freedom leaders and activists have been kept under detention for the past 41 days.
Reports said anti-India rallies were held in several villages and towns across the valley despite curfew.
Thousands of people attended a pro-freedom rally at Hermain area of Shopian. The speakers at the rally vowed to continue the ongoing movement against Indian rule in Jammu and Kashmir.
Thousands of people staged peaceful protests and special prayers for slain Burhan Wani in various areas of Bandipora district.
Reports said that hundreds of people organised a march from Batergam to main Chowk in Kupwara. It was followed by clashes when the government forces used brutal force to disperse the protesters resulting in injury to one youth Muhammad Ashraf who has been shifted to Srinagar hospital. He has reportedly been shot in his leg.
Scores of men, women and children staged a peaceful sit-in led by separatist Shia leader Masroor Abbas Ansari in old Srinagar.
A strike was observed in Mendhar area of Poonch district against the killings in the valley.
Another massive public rally was held at Rajpora township in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district. Hundreds of villagers from the adjacent villages gathered to take part in the pro-freedom rally.
Hurriyat (G) chairman Syed Ali Geelani addressed a big procession organized at a ground in Seer Hamdan, Anantnag.
Media reports said people, journalists among them, were beaten up in some areas of the valley.
A police spokesman said stone pelting incidents were reported from Papchan area of Bandipora, Batergam of Kupwara and Alyalpora of Shopian where the “youth assembled on roads and pelted stones on the deployments”.
“A violent mob assembled and attacked the house of MLA Shopian last night. The mob set ablaze the belongings including a motorcycle of the guard personnel posted for protection of the house,” police said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.