SKIMS tells injured Kupwara man’s family: ‘we can’t treat him anymore’

  • 2

Father of four kids, Manzoor was hit by a stone/teargas shell during a protest in Kalaroos on July 14

Srinagar: A 35-year-old man from Kupwara, who had been wounded in government forces’ action during a protest on July 14, was discharged from SKIMS, Soura, on Thursday, with doctors telling his family that he can’t be treated at the hospital anymore.
“In the morning the doctors told us to take him home. We asked them how can take him to Kupwara in this condition. They then asked us to keep him somewhere in the city so that in case of emergency we can again bring him to hospital,” said Feroz Mughal, brother of the victim, Manzoor Mughal, a resident of Kalaroos, 120km from Srinagar.
“The doctors said he won’t survive so better take him home,” Feroz said.
He had been admitted to the ICU for eight days and to the ward 2A for 14 days.
Sitting beside Manzoor in a small, grubby makeshift kitchen-cum-living room at Nawab Bazar, Feroz said the doctors told him that “the patient might catch infection in the hospital.”
A father of four kids, aged two months to 12 years, Manzoor was putting up in a rented accomodation at Nawab Bazar area of old city and working as an assistant to a waza (chef). He had visited his family for Eid celebrations.
The hospital discharge certificate attributes Manzoor’s head injury to tear smoke canister, damaging his skull bone and leading to hemorrhage between the brain and its immediate covering.  Also, the brain matter has got affected.
“His left side of the body has paralysed,” said his cousin Abdul Qayoom. He has developed bed sores. Doctors have made an incision in his windpipe to relieve an obstruction to breathing.The victim coughed serveral times when this reporter visited the place and his chest appeared heavily congested. Once he tried to remove a towel that had been placed on his head.

There are multiple versions on his injury. On July 14, Qayoom recalled that government forces into service a “helicopter to disperse protesters who were demonstrating on hill slopes” in this remote area of border district of Kupwara.
“At about 8 in the morning he left home to buy medicine for his youngest two-month-old baby girl. We learnt about his injury at noon and locals told us that he was hit by a stone thrown from the chopper. We would have known what happened actually but he has not talked since,” said Qayoom.
Both Director SKIMS Dr AG Ahangar and Medical Superintendent Dr Farooq Jan were not available for the comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.