Kashmir: 100 injured on Friday

Srinagar: Over 100 people including some policemen were wounded as the clashes marred Kashmir for the consecutive 22nd day on Friday. Authorities had imposed curfew across Kashmir to foil Jamia Masjid Chalo march of Resistance leaders. Scores of people after Friday prayers tried to submit a resolution to the United Nations Military Observer’s office at Srinagar near Gupkar road however the men in uniform used tear smoke shells to disperse them.
Soon after people came out of the Syed Sahab Masjid Dalgate, they assembled outside the gate of UNMOGIP, and started raising slogans seeking interference of United Nations to resolve the Kashmir dispute. The protesters wanted to talk to the UNMOGIP officials and handover a resolution to them regarding Kashmir however police swung into action and fired tear smoke shells on the protesters. The protesters pelted stones on police and alleged that they were targeted with shells given the fact they were peaceful and silent. Reports said that many protesters were injured in police action.
Locals from different areas of Srinagar city including Habakadal, Noorbagh, Eidgah and Chattabal alleged that CRPF went on rampage on Thursday night and damage property of people. Locals at Barsoo Ganderbal alleged armed forces barged into the house during the middle of the night and beat up women. “At least 15 women were wounded when they were assaulted by forces inside their houses. The action forced people to hit to roads and stage pro-freedom protest,” said locals.
At least two protesters were injured at Safapora Ganderbal after police resorted to tear-gas shelling to disperse them. The local youth had assembled on road to stage anti-India protest. Clashes erupted in different areas of Central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district leaving at least 13 people including 8 policemen injured. Reports said that clashes erupted in Pandach, Mala Shahi Bagh,Tulmula, Rangil, Beehama and Chek Fathepora. An Inspector Muhammad Rafiq, SPO of DySP Operations and six other cops were wounded in these clashes. Two youth according to eyewitnesses were apprehended by Army men from 5 Rashtriya Rifles when they entered into Kurhama village of Ganderbal. Witnesses said that the duo were relaxing on the shopfront when Army whisked them away. The detention of youth sparked protest in the area.
A candle light march was held in South Kashmir’s Anantnag district on Thursday night. Nocturnal protests erupted in many parts of Kashmir last night. People marched across the old city holding mashaals. Residents of Anantnag town staged a candle light last evening. Reports of similar protests were received from Dooru Anantnag area. Hospital sources from South Kashmir informed CNS that more than 100 protesters including some police officers were wounded in violent clashes in different parts of Kulgam and Anantnag. All but 55 people were injured in violent clashes in Dooru. A policeman Ghulam Hasan was injured when a police shell hit him while chasing away protesters. Two cops were wounded while one of them received injuries in face after protesters hurled a petrol bomb towards them at Chowalgam Kulgam. A police official identified the injured cops as Rizwan Ahmed Baba and Muhammad Rafiq Bodha. At least six CRPF personnel were injured in clashes at Qazigund. During the clashes SHO Manzoor Ahmed and SDPO Qazigund Khalid Ahmed were also wounded. Two civilians Irshad Ahmed Dar and Muhammad Asif were wounded when agitated protesters clashed with armed forces at Muhammadpora Kulga. Stone-pelting incidents were also reported from Sangam, Bijbehara and Kokarnag area of Anantnag district. Reports said that among the four injured one was referred to District Hospital Anantnag after pellets hit his eyes at Koimouh Wanpu area of Kulgam district. Meanwhile peaceful processions were taken out in Yaripora and Yesu Ashmoji Kulgam.
In Pulwama district people held late evening protests against the civilian killings.They marched through localities in peripheries of Pulwama. Clashes erupted in different parts of Pattan town including Hanjivera. Authorities had imposed strict curfew in the town however people defied curfew and clashed with the police.
Reports from South Kashmir said that a peaceful protest rally was held in over 100 vehicles which included bikes, cars and tippers in Nehama, Pampore area of Pulwama district across Wanpora, Parigam, Larve, Marvel, Khadermoh and Sathar. The rally peacefully returned to the village but armed forces according to reports resorted to tear-smoke shelling creating panic in the area.
In Shopian district a procession emerged from Wahil village that reportedly attacked an Army camp located at Chowdary Gund. The protesters pelted stones on the Army camp while in retaliation the Army fired tear-smoke shells to disperse the protesters. At Ladiyar Tral at least 7 protesters were injured in clashes with government forces. Locals alleged that CRPF damaged the windowpanes of more than 12 residential houses without any provocation. A procession was taken out from Daral-uloom Tral. The protesters clashed with police and pelted stones. Police retaliated with tear-smoke shells. The clashes continued for hours there. Reports said that angry protesters attacked CRPF camp at Tahab Pulwama leading to violent clashes between the protesters and armed forces.
At Adjan Kulgam a pro-freedom procession was taken out that was led by senior separatist leader Abdul Samad Inqalabi. The protest march culminated peacefully. A police official told CNS that an old building of SDPO office was set on fire by a mob in Rafiabad Baramulla. Intense clashes were also reported from Kuligam and Lalpora Lolab area of Kupwara district. The joint resistance leadership had asked people to march towards Jamia Masjid in old city on Friday.