At SKIMS Bemina, victims narrate tales of horror

At SKIMS Bemina, victims narrate tales of horror
  • 31

SRINAGAR: Inside the orthopedic ward of SKIMS Bemina, Mukhtar Ahmad Wagay, reclined on a bed, is yet to regain his senses properly.  His last memory is about offering prayers at a mosque in Anantnag, meeting his friends and fleeing after police opened fire on civilian protestors on Saturday. He does not remember anything else. When asked about the fateful, he does not remember anything else except that he fell on a street.
“He was beaten by forces when he fell. His left leg is broken. Since Saturday, he is not in full senses. Today (Thursday), he has begun to talk but most of his questions revolve around one thing. When will his tormenters be punished?,” Wagay’s attendant told Kashmir Reader.
Wagay is one of the 71 injured admitted at the hospital since mass protests erupted after young Hizb commander Burhan Wani along with his two associates  were killed in an encounter on July 8.
Wagay’s left femur is fractured. The cracks are visible in his X-ray scan. His tongue was also injured. Although most of the injured have been discharged, nearly 20 patients are still undergoing treatment. The ward has eight injured, five with bullet injuries, two physical assaults and one pellet injury.  In the next corner, Mehraj, who appears calm and composite, is reclined too. His left leg Tibia and Fibula is damaged. Doctors have plugged his 5×5 cm lacerated wound and fractured bone with external fixator as the first treatment. According to a doctor, he will be operated upon multiple times to heal his injury. “His leg was directly hit by a beam of pellets. The injury was so grave that his bone was exposed. He was infused with two pints of blood. Doctors told us that he will have multiple surgeries,” his attendant said.
Superintendent SKIMS Dr Shafa Dewa said that the hospital has treated people with eye, chest, face, bone and abdomen injuries.
“This time, as compared to 2008 and 2009, the situation is grave and the injuries are fatal,” Shafa said.
An injured in the ward is waiting for an operation since three days. His left hip was hit by a bullet, according to doctors, and needs immediate replacement. According to him, his operation was scheduled today but due to non-functionality of a machine, it has been delayed.
“On Saturday morning, I left my home to leave for Tral and attended Burhan’s funeral. I jumped into a truck with my friends but on the way we were showered with bullets. I only remember that a bullet hit me. I returned to my senses two days later,” the injured, who is a resident of Anantnag added.
The injured recounts that four of his friends, who were with him to Tral to attend Burhan’s funeral have died.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.