Forces shoot dead another youth in Anantnag

Five more youth, two critically injured, brought to SKIMS, where Kulgam youth succumbed to injuries in morning, taking the death toll to 36. Fierce clashes continue across Valley

Srinagar: In a fresh incident of firing at Harnag area of Anantnag district, a youth identified as Hilal Ahmad Dar, son of Ali Mohammad, was killed by government forces on Wednesday. The forces shot him with a bullet in his eye. He was a student, aged 17.
Reports said that heavy clashes erupted in the area in the afternoon in which a dozen people sustained injuries. The death of Hilal Ahmad triggered more clashes in adjoining areas that were still going on when this report was filed.
Chief Medical Officer Anantnag Dr Fazil Kochak confirmed the youth’s death. The boy was brought dead to hospital, he told Kashmir Reader.
Another death occurred at SKIMS hospital in Srinagar, of Javid Ahmad of Howura Mishpora of Qaimoh area of Kulgam district. The young man was hit by a bullet in his abdomen on Saturday, and he succumbed to his injuries on Wednesday morning.
Medical Superintendent of SKIMS Dr Farooq Jan told Kashmir Reader that five more youths, three injured during clashes in Anantnag last night and two more in the morning, were brought to the hospital on Wednesday.
“Two injured from south Kashmir are in critical condition and four persons are on ventilators in the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital,” Jan said.
In Bandipora district of north Kashmir, clashes erupted at Papchan village after forces tried to pull down green and black flags hoisted by the locals. The areas of Hajin, Lowdara, Gamroo and Nusoo witnessed intermediate clashes throughout the day. Reports said that the army beat up several youths in these areas.
Heavy clashes erupted in Tral town of Pulwama where youth gave stiff resistance to forces and pelted them with stones. Kakapora, Awantipora, Pampore and adjoining areas witnessed stone-pelting incidents besides complete shutdown on Wednesday.
A body identified as Zahoor Ahmad Mantoo, son of Ghulam Mohammad, resident of Kesrigam Kakapora Pulwama, was retrieved at Jawbehara Awantipora, police officials told Kashmir Reader. Reports said that the man had gone missing on Saturday when forces chased a huge gathering of mourners who were returning home from Tral after offering in-absentia funeral prayers for Burhan Wani.
The body of Zahoor Mantoo, after post-mortem at sub-district hospital Pampore, was handed over to his family living in Kakapora. The man was laid to rest in the local graveyard.
In Sopore town, people offered in-absentia funeral prayers to the martyrs of 13 July, 1931, at Jamia Masjiod Sopore. Afterwards they marched towards main town Sopore to hold protests against the spree of killings in the wake of Burhan Wani’s death. A heavy deployment of forces triggered fierce clashes in the locality. Several youths sustained injuries. The town remained under strict curfew and observed a complete shutdown.
Traffic and civil moment was restricted in Baramulla district of north Kashmir where forces blocked the main routes connecting main town Baramulla with the rest of the district.
Locals of Kralgung Hanwara alleged that forces of 22 RR and 32 RR ransacked a local masjid and harassed many local people. In Fatehgarh area of Baramulla, hundreds of people carried out a procession and visited homes of several people killed by government forces to pay tributes to them.
Two youths were wounded in firing by government forces at Ganderbal and north Kashmir’s Langate. Both the injured were admitted to SMHS hospital.
In Srinagar, clashes erupted in several areas, including Habba Kadal, Kani Kadal, Chota Bazar, Illahi Bagh, Malla Bagh, Tengpora, Batamaloo, and downtown areas of old city. Residents of Habba Kadal said that government forces smashed windowpanes of several houses and harassed their inhabitants. A masjid in Kani Kadal area was also ransacked by forces.
Several youths are reported to have been injured in these clashes. Residents of Ganderpora Eidgah said that forces beat them and attacked many houses in the area. The forces also damaged the windowpanes of a masjid, they said.
Protesters set ablaze police SOG-manned residence of Gowhar Tantry alias Gow Ikhwani in Kujar area of Kulgam. According to reports, Tantry is member of the anti-insurgency Special Operations Group (SOG) of the police.
Meanwhile, police on Wednesday arrested Hurriyat (G) Chairman Syed Ali Geelani and Hurriyat (M) chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq when they tried to march towards the martyrs’ graveyard in Srinagar.
As Geelani ventured out of his home along with dozens of other Hurriyat leaders and activists, a large police posse deployed outside his house detained him and arrested him.
Mirwaiz was detained by police outside his Nigeen residence when he defied restrictions to lead a procession towards martyrs’ graveyard in downtown Srinagar.
—With inputs from Peer Firdous-ul-Islam Bilal Habib, Asim Shah, Mushtaq Ahmad, Owais Farooqi and Shabir Ahmad