Sopore erupts over killing of 2 militants

Sopore: Two militants, both hailing from Baramulla, Altaf Ahmad Mir of Brat Kalan village in Sopore and Imtiyaz Ahmad of Sumbal town, were killed in the gunfight that started early Friday morning in Bomai village in Sopore.
People of Bomai village told Kashmir Reader that the SOG police team of Sopore and army soldiers of 22 RR (Rashtriya Rifles) surrounded the village at night and began searching every home. About midnight the two militants were found in a single-storey house in Chan Mohalla Bomai.
“We were taken out at midnight from our home. We spent the night in our neighbour’s house. In the morning the encounter started,” said Fayaz Ahmad (name changed), one of the members of the family in whose home militants were found.
Locals complained that they were unable to offer the Fajr prayers at dawn in Ramzan as armed forces were everywhere in the village.
The encounter started early in the morning and continued till the afternoon. One militant was gunned down early but the other fought on till 1pm. He was killed when a mortar hit him directly, killing him on the spot.
While the encounter was going on, residents of Bomai village and adjacent areas tried to march towards the encounter site so that the militant who was left fighting could escape. But the Sopore police and CRPF fired teargas shells to prevent them from advancing.
Following the fierce gunfight, police and army men were pelted with stones by the angry villagers. Two persons, including a woman, were severely injured in police action and were referred to Srinagar hospital. One of them is said to be critically injured. The medical officer (MO) of Sopore hospital confirmed this.
After the encounter finished, bodies of both the militants were taken to Bomai police station. When the police did not hand over the bodies, the villagers started throwing stones at the police station. After some time the bodies of both militants were handed over to their respective claimants.
As soon as the body of Altaf Ahmad of Brat Kalan village of Sopore was received, people started gathering from all areas of Sopore tehsil to attend funeral prayers for him.
A huge funeral procession walked all the way to Altaf’s village. The moment Altaf’s body was brought inside his home in early evening, hundreds of cameras with flash lights began taking pictures and the crowd shouted anti-India slogans.
The funeral prayers were held at the playground of the government senior secondary school in Brath Kalan. Altaf was buried in the local martyrs’ graveyard of Brath Kalan.
Stone pelting continued after the burial in many areas of Sopore. Till last reports came in, the Sopore police station was being pelted with stones.
Some weeks ago, a militant from Brath Kalan named Adil was killed in a gunfight at Kunzer in Baramulla district.