JKLF remembers Ashfaq Majeed Wani

SRINAGAR: Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front paid tribute to Shaheed-I-Kashmir Ashfaq Majeed Wani, saying “he was a great leader who strived for the freedom of Kashmiri nation and sacrificed himself for the righteous cause”.
The JKLF organised a meeting to commemorate Wani, who was killed by government forces on September 5, 1996, the front said in a statement issued here.
Addressing the meeting, JJKLF chairman, Mohammad Yasin Malik, described him as a “born leader”.
“The days and years of his life from 30th march 1990 to 5th September 1966 are a shining evidence of his greatness. He was a humble slave of almighty Allah. He was a symbol of courage, fearlessness, piousness, passion, and resistance against illegal occupation and injustice,” he said.
Malik said the torture cells, jails, and other “means of oppression” could not deter him.
“The people who think that people’s revolution in 1990 was an outcome of 1987 election rigging are wrong. In fact, the struggle for freedom, led by leaders like Ashfaq Majeed sahib, was not the outcome of any election but a process that was accelerated by Maqbbol Butt’s martyrdom in 1984,” he said.
“It was Ashfaq Majeed Wani’s gallant leadership in 1988 that gave courage to hundreds and thousands of young men to stand up for the cause of freedom and independence. He led this people’s revolution in 1990 and changed the 5000-year-old history of Kashmir.”
Paying tributes to Shabir Ahmad Sidiqi and others killed at Dargah Hazratbal, the JKLF chairman said he was a “religious scholar” and a “man of wisdom who strived and sacrificed his life for the freedom of Kashmir”.
“Sidiqi sahib will also be remembered for his philanthropy and work in the field of education.”
The statement said prayers were held for Wani, Sidiqi, Dr Abdul Ahad Guru, and advocate Jalil Andrabi, and other martyrs at martyrs’ graveyard Eidgah.
Led by Malik, a number of people participated in the prayer meeting, it said.
The JKLF is organising a blood-donation camp at Hameed blood bank Abi Guzar, Srinagar, on March 31—the day on which Dr Guru was killed.