Moscow: Russia ON Monday warned the US that it will start responding to cease-fire violations in Syria unilaterally starting tomorrow if the US refuses to coordinate rules of engagement against the violators.
The Russian military have accused the US of dragging its feet on responding to Moscow’s proposals on joint monitoring of a Syria cease-fire.
A top Russian general said on the weekend that further delays are leading to civilian casualties, like in Aleppo where 67 civilians reportedly have been killed by militant fire since the truce started.
Lieutenant General Sergei Rudskoi of the Russian General Staff said in a statement today that Russia will have to use force unilaterally that because the US, in talks with Russia last week, had refused to coordinate a joint response.
“The American side was not ready for this particular discussion and for the approval of the agreement,” the statement quoted him as saying.
There was no immediate reaction from US officials.
The Russian- and US-brokered cease-fire that began on February 27 has helped significantly reduce hostilities. The Islamic State group and the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front have been excluded from the truce.
Russian President Vladimir Putin last week recalled some of Russian warplanes from Syria, but said the action against the Islamic State group and the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front will continue.