Islamabad/New Delhi: Pakistan’s participation in the high-profile World Twenty20 cricket event continued to be shrouded in suspense with the country’s government refusing to clear the team’s departure unless India provides written assurance of security.
“We are not in a position to give clearance right now. The threats are Pakistan specific. It is our responsibility that our players do not face any kind of pressure when they play…Unless we get written assurance from the (Indian) government, we will not allow our team to travel to India,” Pakistan’s Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan told reporters.
“How can cricket be played amid threats… Eden Gardens has a capacity of one lakh, what if stone comes from any side. We are just demanding an even playing field,” he added, referring to the marquee clash against India on March 19 which was shifted from Dharamsala to Kolkata due to security concerns.
Amid the continuing logjam, the Indian government said all necessary arrangements are always made for major sporting events, citing the recent South Asian Games which were held without a hitch in Assam last month.
“I would like to draw your attention to the fact that all necessary arrangements, including those for security have been made in the past for all international sporting events organised in India,” Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Vikas Swaroop said today in New Delhi.
“Recently as you are aware, the South Asian Federation Games saw good and enthusiastic participation of all contingents from all SAF countries, including Pakistan. We are confident that the ICC World T20 will also be a resounding success in all aspects,” he said.
The ICC has already stated that the onus is on Pakistan to send the team since their apprehensions have been addressed.
“We have done the best possible security arrangements and if they do not come now, we will have to take the legal route. It will be very unjustified, if they do not come,” he said.