Srinagar: Demanding stern punishment for infamous government gunman Rashid Parray alias Rashid Billa and his associates, the affected families of ‘Sadarkoot Bala’ massacre Monday expressed its deep sorrow and surprise that despite the court orders the police are not arresting the close aides of Kuka Parrey who according to them gunned down seven persons including women and children on the fateful day of October 5, 1996.
The protesters from Sadarkoot Bala area of North Kashmir’s Bandipora district who assembled here in Press Enclave recounted the horror they witnessed on that day. Ghulam Qadir Dar who was leading the protest told CNS that all but 30 government gunmen (Ikhwani’s) accompanied by 13 Rashtriya Rifles personnel of Indian army, based at Asham camp barged into his house during late hours. “They were looking for me, obviously to kill me as I had not cast my vote in favour of Kukka Parrey in Assembly election. “I hid myself on the roof top of the house. I spotted Rashid Billa (Hajin), Wali Mir (Doodhwan) and Ayub Dar (Hakabara), Bashir Pehlo alias Baand, Nazir Wani alias Gola, Nazir Foji and others. Little did I know they will target my family members, but I was wrong. They directly fired upon my family members killing my wife Hajrah Begum, daughter Jawa Banoo, son Abdul Salam Dar and nephew Abdul Rashid Dar and killed all of them on spot. Later they entered my relatives houses and gunned down three more people including Saifuddin Dar, Ghulam Rasool Dar and Ghulam Nabi Dar. Seven members of three families also received bullet injuries,” he said.
The protesters who burnt down the posters of Rashid Billa said from past twenty years justice has been eluding them. “All those government sponsored gunmen except Rashid Billa (Hajin), Wali Mir (Doodhwan) and Ayub Dar (Hakabara) have died. An FIR vide number 125/1996 stands registered against Billa and his associates in police station Sumbal but no action has been initiated against these killers.”
The protesters said that on 15 November 2015, Jammu and Kashmir High Court Tuesday ordered SHO Sumbal Police Station to file a chargesheet against Rashid Billa and his associates by 24th November. “20 years after the massacre, the SHO informed the High Court that statements of five witnesses had been recorded under Section 164-A CrPC before the lower court but sought more time to conclude investigations. Surprisingly, the police informed the court that the culprits are absconding while the fact is they roam freely and even threaten us of dire consequences,” the affected families said and demanded immediate arrest of the killers. (CNS)