Inquiry panel blames 2 police officials for Muzaffarnagar carnage

Inquiry panel blames 2 police officials for Muzaffarnagar carnage

Akhilesh govt gets clean chit; BJP legislator who provoked mobs spared further action for now
Lucknow: A one-man inquiry commission tasked with investigating into the Muzaffarnagar riots of 2013, which killed 60 people and rendered thousands homeless, nearly all of them Muslims, has held then superintendent of police and an inspector responsible for the riots.
The investigation report by the Justice Vishnu Sahay Commission — tabled in Uttar Pradesh assembly on Sunday — has held then Muzaffarnagar senior superintendent of police Subhash Chandra Dubey and the local intelligence Inspector Prabal Pratap Singh directly responsible for the riots and gave a clean chit to the Akhilesh Yadav government.
The senior police officer, the report said, was lax about controlling riots and the Singh was indicted for failure of intelligence.
The report said no further action can be taken against BJP lawmaker Sangeet Som, Sangeet Som who had uploaded a fake video that was shot in Pakistan on YouTube and which provoked mobs to killing people, until the investigation is complete.
Som has been accused in two cases related to the riots. He had been arrested and is currently out on bail.
No one can be “directly held responsible” for the hate speeches, read the report. “In most cases, the panchayat and the local intelligence failed to estimate about the expected crowd turnover,” it added.
The report also brought then District Magistrate Kaushal Raj Sharma’s role under scanner for his overall responsibility.
The report was made public six months after it was submitted to Governor Ram Naik. At the time, the BJP had rejected the report, saying its findings were politically motivated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.