* On Wednesday, the government forces received tip-off about the presence of three Hizb-ul-Mujahideeen militants in south Kashmir’s Tral area.
* The forces sealed the village at around 7 pm and launched search operations to track down militants hiding in a residential house.
* Clashes between government forces and youths broke out after the former laid a cordon around the village.
* To facilitate the safe exit of the trapped militants, local youth resorted to intense stone pelting.
* During encounter, locals raised pro-freedom slogans and attempted to march towards the site.
* Three Hizb-ul-Mujahideeen militants identified as as Mohammad Ishfaq Parray alias Newton son of Mohammad Ismail Parray of Laribal Tral, Asif Ahmad Mir alias Chotu son of Mohammad Yusuf Mir of Dadasar Tral and Aashiq Hussain Bhat son of Mohammad Shabhan Bhat of Charsoo Awantipora, were killed in an overnight gunfight.
* One among the slain militants Ishfaq earned sobriquet Newton for his meritorious academic graph. He had scored a close to 99% in class 10.
* Complete shut down was observed in Tral and its adjoining areas to protest against the killing of militants.
* People allege expensive articles were stolen during the search operations by the government forces.