SRINAGAR: Pakistan prime minister Nawaz Sharif’s advisor on foreign affairs, Sartaj Aziz, revealed on Monday that Jaish-e-Mohammad chief, Masood Azhar, has been under detention since January 14.
India claims that Azhar is the mastermind of Pathankot airbase attack that happened the last month.
The revelation by Aziz comes a day after India allowed Pakistani investigators to inspect the site where the attack happened.
On Friday, Pakistani authorities registered a First Information Report in connection with the Pathankot attack, which India has blamed on the JeM and its chief.
The FIR, however, made no mention of the JeM or Azhar, who allegedly masterminded the strike.
The FIR mentions five Pakistani mobile phone numbers that were called by the attackers from the Indian side.
Aziz, during an interview with India Today channel, said that one of the mobile numbers provided by India was active and had been traced to the JeM’s headquarters in Bahawalpur.
“The FIR is only a first stage report and subsequent FIRs will definitely carry names,” he said.
Aziz was critical of the Indian media and said it should present a balanced view while reporting on bilateral ties.