SAR Geelani’s bail rejected; Kanhaiya moves high court

New Delhi: A court here on Friday rejected the bail application of Delhi University’s former professor SAR Geelani, arrested on charges of sedition for allegedly organising an event at the Press Club of India to mark the death anniversary of Afzal Guru.
Metropolitan magistrate Harvinder Singh dismissed the bail plea of Geelani, who was on Thursday was sent to judicial custody till March 3.
Police registered a first information report (FIR) on February 10 under sections dealing with sedition and criminal conspiracy over raising slogans by Kashmiri students in the club premises the same day to protest Afzal Guru’s execution.
The FIR was filed on the basis of complaint made by the club.
At the PCI, in which Geelani was present on the dais along with three other speakers, a group allegedly had raised slogans hailing Afzal Guru. Taking suo motu cognizance of the matter, police registered a case against Geelani and other unnamed people.
Police said that Geelani is presumed to be the “main organiser” of the event.
“During initial investigation, we learnt that a hall was booked in the Press Club on the request of Geelani,” a police officer said.
Police have also questioned Delhi University professor Ali Javed, a PCI member, under whose membership number, the hall for the event was booked. Javed was expelled by the PCI following the event.
Student leader moves HC for bail
JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar, arrested in a sedition case, today moved the Delhi High Court seeking bail.
Kanhaiya’s lawyers Sushil Bajaj and Vrinda Grover, who were escorted by Delhi Police, directly went to the high court’s listing Registrar Loren Bamniyal and mentioned the petition behind closed doors.
The lawyers came to the high court following today’s direction of the Supreme Court, which transferred the bail petition to the HC and also asked the Centre and Delhi Police to ensure proper security arrangements for counsel of the students’ union leader at the high court premises.
Soon after the apex court order, security in and around the high court was beefed up with the deployment of additional police personnel and CRPF jawans.
The matter is yet to be listed before a bench of the high court for hearing.
Kanhaiya, who is in judicial custody, had yesterday approached the apex court directly, seeking bail on the ground that his life was under threat in Tihar Jail.
His plea was taken up earlier in the day by the Supreme Court which declined to entertain it saying if it does, it will become a precedent available to all the accused in the country.
Kanhaiya Kumar was arrested on February 12 on sedition charge following a controversial event at JNU campus where anti-India slogans were allegedly raised.
The student leader was produced in the court on Wednesday after the end of his police custody, where a group of men dressed in lawyers’ robes unleashed a brazen attack on him and others, including journalists present there.
Kanhaiya had sought the apex court’s intervention, saying no purpose would be served by keeping him in the jail and the police was finding it difficult to even produce him in the court.
Meanwhile, High Court Bar Association President Rajiv Khosla condemned the violence in the Patiala House court complex and urged lawyers to maintain peace and not do anything which would lead to such untoward incidents.