Valley shuts against Pulwama killings

Valley shuts against Pulwama killings

Javid Ali / Shabir Ahmad

Srinagar/ Pulwama: Amid curfew in several parts of Srinagar, Kashmir Valley observed a complete shutdown on Monday against the killing of two youths, including a woman, in Pulwama district during a protest by government forces on Sunday.
Engineering student Danish Farooq and Shaista Hameed were hit by bullets fired by government forces during a protest organised by people from several villages in Lelhar and Kakpora. Twelve other people were injured in the firing.
A Lashkar-e-Toiba militant, Adil Ahmad Wagay of Banderpora, was killed in a gunfight preceding the protests that helped two other militants escape.
One of the injured, Ghulam Mohi ud Din, who was hit by a bullet in the abdomen, has been being shifted to the surgical ICU at the SMHS Hospital.
Thousands of policemen and paramilitary troopers manned streets across the Valley to prevent anti-India protests. However, protesters in Saraibala, Nowgam, and Maisuma clashed with government forces that retaliated with teargas and pepper gas.
Similar clashes were witnessed at Narbal in Budgam district.
While public transport was off the roads in Srinagar city, all shops and business establishments remained closed.
Thousands attend funeral of LeT militant; 3 injured during clashes in Kakpora
Thousands of people on Monday attended the funeral prayers of LeT militant Adil Ahmad Wagay, who was killed in a gunfight with government forces on Sunday in Lelhar village of the district.
Witnesses said that amid a heavy deployment of forces in the area, people from various villages assembled at Banderpora, the native village of the militant, for his Nimaz-e-Jinaza.
His body was taken to the local graveyard for burial in the form of a huge procession amid pro-freedom and anti-India slogans.
Several pro-freedom leaders hailing from the district also participated in the funeral prayers.
Witnesses said that since the people faced difficulties in reaching the graveyard owing to the deployment of forces and strike in the area, the funeral prayers were held twice, at 10:30am and 11:30am.
In Kakpora town, youths clashed with the police and para-military troopers who resorted to baton charge and teargas shelling.
persons were injured after being hit by teargas canisters. One of the injured was referred to the SMHS Hospital in Srinagar because of the severity of his injuries, while the two others were treated at a local healthcare facility.
Clashes between the youth and government forces were also reported from Batpora and Nathpora localities of Anantnag.

DC Pulwama orders inquiry
Deputy commissioner Pulwama Niraj Kumar ordered a magisterial inquiry into the killings of the two students and appointed additional deputy commissioner Shahbaz Ahmad Mirza as inquiry officer. The inquiry will be completed within 15 days.
“Since many versions about the civilian killings are coming so far but what circumstances led to the incident will be ascertained during the probe,” the DC told Kashmir Reader.
He said that the first installment of ex gratia relief of Rs 1 lakh each has also been sanctioned to the families of the deceased civilians.
“Besides the relief will also be sanctioned to the injured on the basis of the severity of their injuries,” DC said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.