Scarf pin inhalation cases among women on rise in Kashmir

Scarf pin inhalation cases among women on rise in Kashmir

srinagar: Doctors in Kashmir are witnessing an alarming increase in number of scarf pin inhalations among women wearing headscarves.
Dr Qurat who treats patients in ENT (Eye,Nose,Throat) department of SMHS Hospital said that the accidents often occur when women place their pins between their lips while fixing their headscarves and suddenly they cough or laugh.
“Owing to the sudden action, the pin straight away goes into the respiratory tract of the person,” she said.
In a study conducted by doctors of the Government Medical College, patients with headscarf pin foreign body aspiration treated in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology over a period of two years were reviewed. The study, quoted by Mail Today, found 18 cases of headscarf foreign body inhalation.
“All of them were women in the age group of 15 to 35 years and all had positive chest radiography findings while commonest anatomical location was left main bronchus,” the study conducted by Manzoor Ahmad Latoo, Zafarullah Beig and Aleena Shafi said.
Post graduate doctor at SMHS, Dr Zubair Lone said that the patient who inhales a pin has to undergo bronchoscopy –a procedure used to view a person’s airway and lungs – to ascertain where the pin has actually stuck.
“Bronchoscopy is an emergency as well as a risky procedure. It can also lead to lung collapse. And if we could not see the needle through broncoscopy then we need to cut the chest wall,” he said.
The doctors said that there was a need of making women aware of such dangers.
“Wearing veils has become a trend now. Every other girl in Kashmir covers her head, but these girls are not aware how dangerous these pins can be. If the diagnoses will be delayed then one has to undergo for surgery,” said Dr Qurat.
“The girls need to be made aware of careless handling of scarf pins. Majority of the cases of inhalation occur because of the absent mindedness of girls while dressing,” she said.