Killing of Hizb trio, beef ban order: Protests, clashes in several areas

Srinagar: Protests erupted at several places in the Valley after Friday prayers against the killing of three Baramulla youths a few days ago and the recent high court order asking authorities to implement a Dogra-era law criminalising slaughter of bovine animals.
Protesters pelted the police and paramilitary troopers with stones after being stopped from holding a peaceful demonstration in Nowhatta and Gojwara areas of Srinagar.
Several masked protesters were also carrying Pakistani flags. The police fired teargas canisters to disperse the youth, who were shouting pro-freedom slogans.
Clashes between police and protesters erupted in Anantnag when police did not allow a peaceful march people were trying to hold from Hanfia Jamia Masjid in Reshi Bazar area, where Umat-e-Islamia chief and Mirwaiz south Kashmir Qazi Yasir led the prayers.
“After offering prayers youth assembled in the premises of the Masjid and raising pro-freedom and anti-India slogans tried to move out in the form of a procession,” eyewitnesses said.
However the policemen stopped them from moving ahead triggering clashes. The angry youth resorted to heavy stone throwing at forces who responded with heavy tear smoke shelling. The clashes later spread to other localities of the old town including Cheeni chowk , Mattan chowk and Sherbag.
During the clashes which continued for several hours. Two persons including the cameraman of a news channel, Fida Hussain, were injured after being hit by a stone in his head. Fida was later admitted to district hospital Anantnag where he received six stitches in his head.
Several youths caught by the police during protests were put behind the bars. Local residents alleged that police and CRPF personnel went berserk and broke glass panes of scores of houses and private vehicles in many localities of the old town.
Clashes were also reported from Sopore where protesters after Friday prayers in Sopore took out a rally from historic Jamia Masjid Sopore to the Sopore Chowk, shouting anti-India slogans.
The protesters pelted the police with stones after being stopped at the Chowk.
Asiya detained
Dukhtaran-e-Milat chief Asiya Andrabi was on Friday detained by the police at Rambagh women’s police station. Asiya, who had called for a protest march on Friday against the killing of three Hizbul Mujahideen militants on Monday, was reportedly picked up from her home in Soura.

—Reporting by Asim Shah from Sopore and Shabir Ahmad from Anantnag