Uri encounter continues

Uri encounter continues
  • Army claims two militants killed
  • Lull in Indo-Pak exchange of fire

Baramulla: The encounter which reportedly started between militants and the Indian army along the LoC in Lachipora sector of Uri here in Baramulla district early on Wednesday morning was continuing till last reports came in. With army and police sources being the only source of information in such cases, independent confirmation of such incidents has not been possible.
Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) north Kashmir Gareeb Das, later in the day, said that a group of two to three militants had crossed over two days ago and were roaming in the forest areas along the LoC. He said that after specific information, the army cordoned off the area and started a search operation during which the militants fired on the forces, resulting in the encounter. Das said the encounter was still going on and “as per information one militant has been killed but the body is yet to be retrieved”. However, army sources claimed that two unidentified militants had been killed in the encounter and that it was still on.
The army sources claimed the militants had snatched some mobile phones and identity cards from some local shepherds and were taking shelter in the dense forests. Locals, on their part, said that dozens of helicopters came to the area on Wednesday and that a large number of army personnel from other units were rushed to the area.
Meanwhile, sources said that the exchange of fire which started between Indo-Pak forces on Tuesday in the same sector has ceased. While there were no reports of any injuries or casualties, tension prevails along the LoC areas here.
Meanwhile, reports said that the also army cordoned off the vast forest area here in upper belt of Rafiabad and launched a search operation. They said the army had some “inputs” that a group of two or more militants were roaming in the forests in Borgiyan Behak on the upper side of Donawari village in Rafiabad, and that a search operation had been launched. However, there were no reports of an encounter till late on Wednesday.