Hindu extremists carried out 2004 Jammu mosque attack

Srinagar: In the latest addition to terror cases in J&K and various parts of India in which members of the Muslim community were falsely implicated, an investigation by the Indian Express newspaper has revealed that an attack on a mosque in Jammu in 2004, first blamed on militants, was carried out by Hindu extremists.
The Jammu police had implicated a militant outfit, Tehreek–ul–Mujahideen, for the grenade attack on the mosque in January 2004, which led to two casualties and left around 19 people injured. The police had even arrested 108 people in connection with the attack, but later, in 2005, the case was declared ‘untraced’.
But, interestingly, the NIA had blamed Hindu extremists, including two people who had already been arrested in the Malegaon blasts case (again, a case where Muslims were first blamed) for this attack. The NIA, in fact, named Rajendra Chaudhary and Dhan Singh, arrested in connection with the 2007 Samjhauta Express attack and the 2008 Malegaon blasts, as being behind the Jammu attack. Yet, the case could still not be resurrected, as the Express report reveals, because the J&K police said the original case file was ‘stolen’.
This comes even as the special public prosecutor in the Malegaon blasts case, Rohini Salian, recently revealed that she had been ‘asked to go soft’ on the case by an NIA officer after the Modi regime took over.
Pertinently, many cases of Muslims being falsely implicated in terror cases, and even spending years in jail, and then being acquitted or released on bail, without any compensation or punishment for officials responsible for the gross miscarriage of justice, have come to light. These include, for example, cases of Muslims from Jaunpur arrested for ‘possession’ of RDX in Lucknow, who spent over seven years in jail; and around 14 people arrested in Patna, allegedly for conspiring to explode bombs at a Narendra Modi rally in Bihar’s capital in 2013, who spent months in jail before being released on bail.
There are many other such cases from UP; while another one involved a Kashmiri youth and two other Muslims who were released by a court in Lucknow in 2014 in a 14-year old case.