Civilian killed in Anantnag grenade attack

Srinagar: A civilian was killed and five others, including a CRPF trooper, sustained injuries in a grenade attack at Achabal Adda in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district on Saturday. According to police sources, unknown persons lobbed a hand grenade at a CRPF camp in Ganjiwara near the Achabal Adda at around 1:40 pm. The grenade, however, missed the intended target and exploded on the road resulting in injuries to six persons, including the CRPF trooper.
A 55-year-old civilian Mohammad Jabbar Wagay, who was among the injured, later succumbed to his injuries.  Jabbar, who hailed from Breenti Dialgam received multiple injuries and was shifted to Srinagar for treatment. “He succumbed to injuries on his way to hospital,” said a police
official. The deceased was an ice cream vendor.
Jabbar, according to villagers, is survived by four daughters and a disabled wife and brother. “He was a very poor man and was the only bread-winner for his family. His wife is suffering from severe orthopaedic disability and his brother from blindness,” Wasim Yusuf, a neighbor of the deceased told Kashmir Reader.
Of his four daughters, locals said, only one is married and it was
a local trust which arranged her marriage. “Jabbar himself was suffering from vision problems. Despite that, he would toil hard to feed his family. He would leave early in the morning to sell ice cream and try to finish his stock before 4 pm,” Wasim said, adding, “this poor family is finished with his death”.
The injured have been identified as Mukhtar Ahmad Zargar son of Abdul Rehman of Shakhsaz Mohalla, Sheeraza wife of Abdul Rashid Dar of Harnag, her 8-year old daughter Rujan, Vijay Kumar (a labourer) son of Lahoram of Punjab and a CRPF trooper Huma Sarwar of CRPF 164 Bn. “All the injured have been removed to the nearby district hospital for treatment,” the police official said. Their condition was stable, according to a doctor posted at the district hospital.
Soon after the attack, army, CRPF and police cordoned off the area and launched search operations to try and nab the attackers. According to police, a case has been registered and investigations started.
This came just a day after successive blasts rocked the summer capital Srinagar, when unidentified persons attacked offices of two telecom operators.
Meanwhile, a group of militants reportedly managed to escape after engaging the army and police in an encounter at Dubjan, a forested area along Mughal road, in south Kashmir’s Shopian district on Saturday.
According to official sources, the army’s 44 RR and the SOG laid a cordon-and-search operation near Bren Nad, adjacent to Dubjan village, following some inputs. Militants hiding in the forest, believed to be five in number, opened heavy fire and the forces retaliated.
After brief exchange fire, the militants managed to escape taking advantage of the thick forest cover, officials said.
A senior army officer claimed a militant was injured in the gunfight but managed to escape along with the others. He also said that three bags were recovered from the encounter site and that searches were going on to track down the militants.
(with inputs from south Kashmir)