Grenades lobbed at mobile tower in Pattan

Woman killed, 4 injured in cross-border firing, claims BSF

Bilal Habib

SRINAGAR/Jammu: Unknown persons tried to blow up a mobile tower with hand grenades in Pattan town of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district.
Two hand grenades were lobbed towards a cellular tower in Nihalpora area of Pattan early on Wednesday morning, witnesses told Kashmir Reader. However, the grenades did not explode. Later, bomb disposal squad was rushed to the area and the grenades were diffused without causing any damage to life and property, they said.
However, a police officer, wishing not to be named, told Kashmir Reader that the grenades might have been targeted towards an army cavalcade that was passing through Nihalpora.
“Fortunately, the grenades did not explode. It would have caused loss of life or property,” the officer said.
Meanwhile, BSF claimed that Pakistani Rangers today violated the ceasefire twice by resorting to firing and mortar shelling in Akhnoor sector in which a woman was killed and four others including a BSF jawan was injured
“The Pakistani Rangers opened ‘sniper fire’ on a BSF constable guarding a border outpost along the International Border in Kanachak sector of Akhnoor tehsil in Jammu district around 0845 hours,” a senior BSF officer said.
As BSF troops tried to evacuate the injured jawan in a vehicle, they were heavily fired upon by Pakistani Rangers, the officer said.
The BSF troops took positions and retaliated, resulting in exchange of fire, he said. “The injured jawan Anjali Kumar has been hospitalised.”
The official alleged that Pakistani Rangers also targeted civilian border areas by resorting to small arms firing and shelling of mortar bombs in Bhalwal Bharth, Malabela, Siderwan areas and Border outposts (BoPs) at 0910 hours, a police officer said adding it stopped at 1200 hours today.
Three mortar shells landed deep inside Kanachak sector along the IB, they said.
A 42-year-old woman identified as Poli Devi died in the mortar shelling while 24-year-old Ramesh Kumar and 38-year-old Udha Devi suffered injuries, the officer said. (with PTI inputs)