Molvi Noor-ud-Din

The son of Badr-ud-Din of Wazpora, Srinagar, Noor-ud-Din was born in 1910, and passed the Adeeb, Molvi Alim and Molvi Fazil courses after matriculation.

He was selected as postmaster, but a close acquaintance, Molvi Ateequllah, vehemently opposed the idea.

“Noor-ud-Din will not join,” he said on seeing the young man’s appointment order. “He will run the Anjuman-e-Nusrat-ul-Islam.”

Noor-ud-Din joined the Islamia School which the Anjuman ran, and stayed with it till 1964.

Earlier, he had also been appointed as the general secretary of the Jami’at-e-Ahl-e-Hadees, and would deliver the Fridaysermon at the Haji Masjid in Aali Kadal.

He was very active during the Holy Relic movement as the Jami’at was an important constituent of the All Parties Action Committee formed amid the tumult.

The Committee was not dissolved after the recovery of the Relic, but assumed the form of a political alliance demanding the right of self-determination for the people of Jammu and Kashmir.

Meanwhile, Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah, who had been arrested in 1953, was released, and he also attended one of the Committee’s meetings, the first time the Sheikh and the then Mirwaiz, Maulana Muhammad Farooq, came together on one platform.

This meeting, however, could not bind the two leaders together, and the Mirwaiz chose to separate, a decision Molvi Noor-ud-Din severely opposed.

Noor-ud-Din’s stand, unexpected for the Mirwaiz, won him widespread criticism from the latter’s (Mirwaiz’) followers.

Well-wishers advised him not to deliver the Friday sermon at the Aali Kadal mosque.

But he did not agree.

“I cannot run away like this,” he said.

Continuing with the All Parties Action Committee, Noor-ud-Din was elected its president thrice in a row.

A visiting foreign delegation that wanted to meet him was stunned to see him turn up at the Mujahid Manzil clad in a white pheran-lining, and highly impressed that such a simple, unassuming person could be so articulate and learned.

Molvi Noor-ud-Din was also appointed a member of the Valley’s main Auqaf. Due to his knowledge of accountancy, he detected a grave financial irregularity in its books, and pointed it out to Mirza Muhammad Afzal Beg.

“Maulana Sahib,” Beg suggested, “let us go for prayers first.”

The issue came up for discussion yet again after prayers.

This time it was Sheikh Abdullah who intervened.

“We cannot waste our time on such trivial issues,” he said.

Noor-ud-Din stood up.

“Do not call me in the future,” he flung at the Sheikh, and left.

Suffering from a cardiac ailment, Molvi Noor-ud-Din had suffered his first heart attack in 1963 at the Central Jail in Srinagar where he had been detained for his political activities. The second came in 1965.

Some time after his third stroke in 1984, he was invited to an international conference in Saudi Arabia, and led a delegation comprising of GM Kutay and GM Gani.

He passed away in Medina on October 3, 1984, and was laid to rest there.

One Response to "Molvi Noor-ud-Din"

  1. Naira Yaqoob   July 8, 2015 at 4:14 am

    Thanks for writing this article. It was good to read about my grandfather.