Food Poisoning: 150 students taken ill in Budgam

Nayeem Rather

Budgam: As many as 150 students were taken ill on Wednesday after having food in a function organised by their school in Budgam district.
Eyewitnesses said that the kids started vomiting and fainted soon after having food during an event at Sidiq’s Advood English Medium School at Huproo in Chadora.
“The children complained of stomach pain and vomited profusely after having the food. Some of them fainted while many got fever” Dr. Zahoor Ahmed, a local told Kashmir Reader. Later the children were shifted to various hospitals.
District Magistrate Budgam, Mir Altaf said that they have ordered a probe to ascertain the cause of food poisoning.
“Fortunately, the food poisoning was not too strong and the situation is under control. Some students were treated on the spot and doctors are working to normalize the situation,” he said.
While majority of the children have been treated at Sub district hospitals of Nagam and Chadoora, some of them with severe complications have been referred to Srinagar hospitals.
Mir Altaf said that initial reports suggested food poisoning was caused due to Tehri (votive offering of turmeric rice) prepared by a local family.
However, the villagers contested the claim blaming the school for the food poisoning.
“Children fell ill after having food prepared by the school” alleged a local.