Limited jobs available to unemployed, issue serious: ESR

Limited jobs available to unemployed, issue serious: ESR

Srinagar: There are limited job opportunities available to unemployed and it is a “social issue of serious concern” in Jammu and Kashmir, according to the latest state economic survey report.
The number of unemployed youth registered with various district employment-counseling centers as on ending September last was 2.32 lakhs, says the report tabled in the budget session of the  state assembly
“The figure may be higher as the registration with the employment department is a voluntary and not mandatory process.”
Of them, 41381 are graduates, 11440 post graduates, 8462 engineering diploma holders and 4632 degree holders while remaining are mostly undergraduates and ITI or other skilled youth. The number of registered job seekers was 6.01 lakh in 2011 against 1.11 lakh in 2007.
“At the state level, the number of registered job seekers had decreased from 447562 in 2009 to 307827 in 2013,” reads the report.
The statistics of employment exchanges, it said, does not provide accurate picture of unemployment in the State.
“The data suffers mainly from two defects. One is that all the unemployed do not register themselves while on the other hand, some of the registered may not be actually unemployed but only in search of better jobs.”
The unemployment rate, defined by NSSO (National Sample Survey Organisation) as number of persons unemployed per 1000 persons in labour force, was 4.9% during the period July 2009 to June 2012 when last (68th round) of NSSO survey was carried). It is higher than the unemployment rate of 2.7% at all India  as well also in comparison of unemployment in neighboring states of Punjab (4.5 percent), Himachal Pradesh (2.8%,) Delhi (2.7%) and Haryana (2.6%).
According to the provisional results of Sixth EC census report, 1064295 persons are working in the establishments—595132 (54.89%) in rural while 489163 (45.11 %) in urban areas. The census serves as a sampling frame for drawing samples for socio economic surveys by Governments and research organizations in India.
“Out of 595132 persons engaged in rural establishments, 52.35% share is occupied by hired workers. Moreover, 77.92% workers in establishments are males, leaving 22.08% share for females.”
Meanwhile, the government has projected five lakh job opportunities in next five years in the state.
Of them, 200000 opportunities would be in skill development through JKEDI, RSETIs (Handicraft and Handloom training centers) while in government, the most sought-after sector, the job opening are projected at 100000. Equal number (I lakh) opportunities are likely to be created in poultry sector besides 5000 each in tourism and sheep and diary sector respectively.
50000 each employment opportunities are tipped to available in Women Development Corporations and J&K Entrepreneur Development institute Seed capital scheme.
40000 jobs opportunities for ITI trainees under PM initiative while 20000 opportunities are likely to be in 5000 units in Handicrafts, Handlooms, Food processing leather, silk and wool, the report says.
In overseas employment, the opportunities that would be available has been estimated at 7000 and 8000 in ‘State Volunteers Core’.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.