Doodipora killings: HC orders completion of probe in 4 weeks

Srinagar: The J&K High Court on Friday directed police to complete within four weeks its investigation into the killing of four boys by Army at Doodipora in Kupwara district more than eight years ago.
Hearing a petition filed by the victim families, a bench of Justice Bansi Lal Bhat passed the orders following perusal of the status report filed by the police, advocate P Imroz, counsel for petitioners, told Kashmir Reader.
On February 22, 2006 at around 1 pm, several boys were playing cricket on the banks of Nallah Tulri in Doodipora village when army’s 33 Rashtriya Rifles cordoned the village and detained the residents in their houses and mosque.
The army personnel also surrounded playground and allegedly resorted to indiscriminate firing on the boys, resulting in on the spot death of a youth, Abdul Samad. The firing led to chaos and other boys ran helter-skelter for cover. However while trying to cross the Nallah, army allegedly fired at them, resulting in the death of three other boys—Ghulam Hassan Bhat, Shakir Hassan Wani and Aamir.
In the latest report, Imroz said, the investigating officer has confirmed the “role of main accused” Captain (now Major) Nitin Dutta (alias Rambo and Aijaz Khan) in the killings.
Meanwhile, in a statement issued here, Jammu Kashmir Coalition of Civil Society said that two army personnel have given statements to the police that Captain Nitin Dutta led the attack.
“Captain Nitin Dutta himself has given a statement that he had immediate command and control of the operation,” a spokesman of JKCCS said.
“This evidence, along with the strong and credible evidence of the villagers of Doodhipora indicts the 33 Rashtriya Rifles and specifically Captain Nitin Dutta.”
The JKCCS also recalled that the army filed a false FIR in an attempt to stall investigations and delay the case.
“Despite these attempts, the evidence has come on record and Captain Nitin Dutta stands clearly indicted. The police must now conclude investigations in four weeks, record all necessary statements, and file a chargesheet against Captain Dutta and personnel under his command.”
The killings took place during PDP-Congress coalition and then government led by Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad had ordered a probe into following massive protests across Kashmir Valley.
Later on September 27 2006, the enquiry officer issued a notice in local newspapers calling upon all concerned persons having knowledge about the incident to appear and furnish information on affidavits on October 09, 2006.
The villagers of Doodipora and parents of the boys responded by appearing before the enquiry officer and later submitted statement of facts duly supported by affidavits. The witnesses deposed that all the boys were civilians. The inquiry found the army captain responsible for the killing of the innocent boys.