3 weeks on, police clueless about Budgam man’s cause of death

Nayeem Rather

Budgam: Nearly three weeks after Abdul Aziz Wani, a retired government employee, died under mysterious conditions here, the police still has no clue about the circumstances that led to his death.
Wani, a 60-year-old resident of Ompora, Budgam was found unconscious at Sheikpora Chowk in the intervening night of December 11/12. Later he was shifted to SKIMS, Srinagar, where after remaining in coma for 18 days he passed away on December 29.
His relatives said that after his death police had promised to solve the case in four days; however, there has been no development so far.
“Police is not taking the case seriously. Instead they are confusing the case with contradictory statements, as sometimes they say that my father died in an accident,” Wani’s daughter Ayesha Akhter told Kashmir Reader.
“On December 13, Bashir Ahmed, a head constable at Humhama police station called us and said that the case has almost been solved but later we were told that there was no progress on the case,” she added.
The family claimed that despite having circumstantial evidences pointing to a murder, the police was treating it as a case of “hit and run.”
The medical report prepared by Neurological department of SKIMS said that the death has been caused by “repeated beating” that led to cracking of the ribs and subsequent hemorrhage.
On December 14, Wani’s pheran, in which he was last seen, was found at Narkura village, 3 kilometres from the site where he was found unconscious.
“If it was an accident, how come the contact numbers and the call summary in his mobile phone got deleted,” asked Wani’s wife Misra Begum.
In connection with the case, police has taken Abdul Gani Teli, a resident of Ompara in judicial custody. “This is an accident case and has nothing to do with murder,” said an official at police station Humhama.
“I am helpless. I have three daughters. Who will listen to an old woman like me,” Misra said.
When contacted, the police refused to comment on the case. “I don’t know anything about this case,” SSP Budgam Mohammad Irshad said. “Contact the concerned SHO,” he added.
The SHO, however, did not respond to repeated calls from Kashmir Reader, and no other official from Humhama police station was willing to talk about the case.