Khwaja Ghulam Ali Naqui was born into the family of Kazim Ali of Zadibal in 1924, and, according to his elder brother, Ghulam Rasool Aalamgir, was sharp and adventurous even as a boy.
On passing out from the Imamia School in Zadibal he entered the Amar Singh College, and wanted to move to Aligarh for a law degree after graduating.
When his parents refused, he stole some money from home, left a note asking for forgiveness, and headed for Aligarh with his friend, Ali Muhammad Vakil.
India and Pakistan were at war, their first, when they returned.
An underground organization launched around that time was attracting hundreds of youth who were being trained to handle and use arms.
According to Rashid Taseer’s Tehreek-e-Hurriyat-e-Kashmir (Vol. 4, Page 132), it was known as the Hyderi Column.
A number of its members were arrested by the police.
Ali Naqui and Advocate Ali Muhammad (son of Muhammad Sabir of Maisuma) were also taken into custody and sentenced to three years rigorous imprisonment.
But they managed to escape from jail.
In his brief biography, Ali Naqui has recorded events thus:
“While the war was on, a group of Pakistan supporters was organized, which was asked by the Pakistan military high command in Kashmir to (operate) in a manner that would create a law and order situation in occupied Kashmir from behind the lines at the time of its offensive scheduled to be launched in May 1948.
“A large number of Kashmiri youth joined this organization, but the whole plan was kept top- secret. Some arms, such as Sten Guns gun cotton slabs, pistols and hand grenades, were transported from the Naushera ammunition depot to Indian- held-Kashmir. “This organization trained the youth to use the arms to be transported from the NWFP. Duties assigned to the trained youth included burning bridges at various places and disrupting the communication system wherever the Indian army operated. It remained underground up to the last quarter of 1948.
“The offensive which the Pakistan army had contemplated did not mature and the scheduled offensive of May 1948 was abandoned. Early in the September of 1948, the Indian Army intelligence and the civil intelligence of the state got some clues of the secret organization from Rawalpindi and the police started unearthing its network.
“Thirty-seven of its workers were arrested within a period of one or two months. Investigation revealed that the organization had imported military hardware from Pakistan. Hand grenades and Sten Guns were recovered from the homes of some of its members in Budgam tehsil, and Zachaldara. “Most of the recoveries were made from the fruit farm of Brigadier Rahmatullah, father of Air Marshall Ashgar Khan of Pakistan.”