Muhammad Yusuf Khan-IV

Muhammad Yusuf Khan further narrates that next year, Jawahar Lal Nehru and other Congress leaders visited the Valley. The National Conference took them in a boat procession from Veer, Chattabal, to Lal Chowk. He narrates the incident as follows:

“We were very angry over the Uri incident and were geared up to take revenge. We raised black flags on both banks of the Jhelum to greet Nehru. When he came, the people shouted, ‘Nehru go back’. The National Conference leadership was embarrassed. I was waiting along with my associates at Sheikh Musa Ghat, Zaina Kadal. When Nehru came, we pulled down our trousers. We had also collected night soil from adjoining latrines, which we threw at them.” The incident wreaked havoc in the city. A team of the National Conference goons, led by Bakshi Ghulam Muhammad, entered Gadyar Masjid and killed one  Abdul Salam Sheikh. The deceased was a supporter of Mirwaiz, but the National Conference surprisingly owned him and put the blame on Abdul Salam

Dalal. Salam was arrested but released after one year on High Court directions. Muhammad Yusuf Qureshi did not like pulling down of trousers by his workers and throwing of night soil on Nehru and Sheikh. He was a decent person and expressed his resentment. He boarded a Tonga along with Muhammad Ismail Sagar to pacify his workers, but was caught by the National Conference workers near Siraj Bazar police post. Someone inflicted a severe injury on his chest by a sharp edged weapon. The angry NC workers, believing him to be dead, bundled him in a bag and threw him into the river Jhelum near Zaina Kadal. However, the bag was spotted by the police immediately. Qureshi was still breathing and was rushed to hospital, which was then situated at the site of present day Lal Ded hospital. Late in the evening, Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah came to see Qureshi. He was annoyed to see Muslim Conference workers surrounding him. He cried with anger, “Is he still alive?” Sheikh left fuming. Qureshi survived.”

…to be continued