Man electrocuted in Qazigund

Suhail Punjabi

Srinagar: A middle-aged man Friday died of electrocution in Qazigund town of South Kashmir’s Anantnag district.
Abdul Ahad, 50, son of Ghulam Ahmed Itoo, was repairing high-tension wire near his house in Chak-e-Badwani village of Qazigund this afternoon when he received electric shock, officials and eyewitnesses said. He was instantly removed to the nearby hospital, where doctors pronounced him dead.
Eyewitnesses alleged that Ahad died due to the alleged negligence of the Power Development Department authorities. They said the officials turned deaf ears despite repeated reminders by the locals to fix the HT line.
“Only two days back, a calf was electrocuted. And today, a villager lost his life due to negligence of officials. They must be taken to task,” eyewitnesses said.
Meanwhile, Station House Officer (SHO) Qazigund, Riyaz Ahmad Elahi told Kashmir Reader that proceedings under section 174 Cr Pc have been started. He also said that locals were accusing PDD of negligence.
“We’ll probe the allegations,” he added.