Kulgam shuts against teenager’s killing for third day

Kulgam shuts against teenager’s killing for third day


ANANTNAG: A complete shutdown was observed for third consecutive day Monday in southern Kulgam district against the killing of a teenager by CRPF troopers on Saturday last, even as clashes continued between forces and angry youth in Khudwani and Quimoo areas of the district.
Suhail Ahmad Lone, 15, was killed after CRPF troopers opened fire on a group of youth protesting against Israeli aggression on Palestine and firing on the protesters a day before in which a youth had sustained injuries. The killing sparked violent protests in the area and shutdown in neighboring Kulgam and Anantnag townships.
On Monday, Kulgam town observed a complete a shutdown for the third running day. All shops, business establishments, private offices and petrol pumps remained shut in the area while passenger traffic was off the roads. The government offices also witnessed thin attendance, reports said.
In Quimoo and Khudwani areas of the district, clashes continued between forces and youth throughout the day. In the morning, scores of youth assembled in main chowk and started clashing with police and CRPF personnel.
“The angry youth continued to attack forces the whole day. The forces in retaliation resorted to intense tear gas shelling,” eyewitnesses told Kashmir Reader.
At least four youth and two policemen sustained injuries during the day long clashes. The injured youth were shifted to SDH Quimoo where from they were discharged after the treatment. “We received at least four injured youth. Two of them had received injuries in hands, one in arm while third one had developed suffocation due to the inhalation of the tear smoke. He had to be given oxygen after which he was able to breathe,” said a doctor at SDH Quimoo.
Eyewitnesses said police arrested at least ten youth during the clashes. “As the clashes were on, a contingent of police came from behind the stone throwing youth through a street and arrested ten of them,” they said.
DIG south Kashmir, Vijay Kumar said the situation was “relatively normal” in the area. “Though clashes did take place, the number of stone throwing youth was much lesser than that of Sunday. We have also caught at least ten youth red handed while pelting stones,” Kumar told Kashmir Reader.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.