Srinagar: Experts on Thursday warned people about consumption of unwashed fruits and vegetables, loaded with pesticides, which they said can lead to serious health issues.
Prof Showkat Ali Mufti, Head of Emergency Medicine, SKIMS, Srinagar, said they received a teenager on June 15 in coma and shock who had consumed one kg of unwashed cherries.
“Examination and investigations revealed that she had developed organ phosphorous poisoning. It was revealed that the pesticide was sprayed on cherries few days back. However, the patient was saved by team efforts of doctors at the Emergency Medicine,” Dr Mufti said in a statement.
“We request people to take only washed fruits and vegetables and in appropriate quantities to stay safe and healthy,” he said.
Director SKIMS and prominent gastroenterologist of the state, Dr. Showkat A Zargar, said a number of infectious diseases can be prevented by simple measures like hand washing and proper washing of fruits and vegetables particularly to prevent the spread of various forms of gastroenteritis.