Protests rock Hajin over father-son duo’s arrest

Srinagar: At least twelve people, including three security men were injured Thursday in violent clashes triggered by the arrest of a father son-duo in Hajin town of north Kashmir’s Bandipora district.
A contingent of police and CRPF troopers around 2:30 am Thursday conducted a raid in volatile Hajin town and arrested a Tehreek-e-Hurriyat (TeH) activist Abdul Hamid Parray and his son Hilal Ahmad from their house in Syed Mohalla, reports and eyewitnesses Thursday said. Parray, who runs a provisional store on the locality and his son were bundled in a police van and taken to the police station.
When the news of the arrested of the father son duo spread in the town this morning, hundreds of furious youth assembled in Syed Mohalla and staged pro-freedom and anti-India demonstrations. Chanting pro-freedom and anti-India slogans, the youth took out a procession that passed through different localities before reaching Main Chowk.
“Angry youth moved on and reached the police station, Hajin and attacked it with stones. The cops and the paramilitaries used teargas canisters and pellet guns to disperse the stone pelting youth. This led to intense clashes in the area,” Tanveer Ahmad Parray, an eyewitness said.
He said that the ding-dong clashes spiralled in other localities of the town including Tunda Mohalla, Ghat Mohalla, Mir Mohalla, Hajam Mohalla, Danger Mohalla, Banger Mohalla and Parray Mohalla.
The youth, he said, regrouped near Jamia Masjid Hajin and engaged the deployments of CRPF and police in a fierce pitched battle. He said repeated attempts by police to break up anti-India protests failed, a s youth emerged from lanes and by lanes and pelted heavily upon the forces.
“At least 12 boys suffered injuries, many of them with pellets during the day long clashes. A few cops and CRPF men were also injured,” he said, adding “The protesters also hurled rocks at the army’s goodwill school,”
Pertinently, a team of plain cloth policemen were roughed up and the car of their senior official was burnt down by angry protests in Syed Mohalla on April 5, when they visited the area secretly to arrest Parray. Parray had managed to give slip to the cops, as the locals had aborted their move.
The town has been on boil since the killing of a teenager Farhat Ahmad Dar of Shah Gund by the forces during anti-India demonstrations on March 14. Several activists of pro-freedom groups have been arrested for allegedly instigating protests.
Meanwhile, a police official told Kashmir Reader that the TeH activist was arrested for his alleged role in setting ablaze an alto car belonging to the Station House Officer (SHO) Hajin, Ateeq Ullah on April 5.
“He was responsible for instigating violent protests in the town. He was a trouble maker,” the official added.