‘Why delete 10th candidate from list of fresh beneficiaries?’

Srinagar: The High Court has directed Crime Branch to produce case diaries of its investigation as it expressed dissatisfaction over investigating agency’s reply about variation in the number of more beneficiary candidates to be charge-sheeted by it in connection with the multi-crore cash-for-CET paper scam of 2012.
Hearing the suo-moto PIL, a division bench of justices Hasnain Massodi and Ali Mohammad Magrey observed that Advocate General M I Qadri on last date of hearing (December 30 last year) had stated that 10 more candidates were being investigated by the Crime Branch.
However, the list submitted by the Crime Branch in sealed cover before the court, bench said, identifies only nine candidates being charge-sheeted by it in next few days.
Advocate General said the number of candidates was ‘inadvertently’ shown as 10 instead of nine.
“We are not satisfied with the explanation tendered and deem it proper to go through the case diaries,” the court said, directing the investigating officer to produce case diaries for its perusal on next date of hearing in the case.
In the meantime, the court directed the Crime Branch to present the list of nine more candidates found by it to have managed their admissions through fraudulent means to BOPEE so that the Board proceeds against them in the manner it has been directed to proceed against 12 candidates already charge-sheeted in the case.