Army committed no HR violations in JK: Gen Rawat

Army committed no HR violations in JK: Gen Rawat

Belagavi (Karnataka): Indian Army Chief General Bipin Rawat said on Saturday that army has committed no human rights violation in Jammu and Kashmir but added that it has taken stringent action whenever such incidents occurred.
Speaking to reporters after honouring 23rd and 24th battalions of the Maratha Light Infantry at a glittering ceremony here on Saturday, he said said no one would be spared in case of violation of human rights.
Asked about reports about rise in recruitments of Kashmiri youths by militant groups since 2013 and resentment against the Army, he said some youths are carried away by wrong conceptions due to social media.
He lauded the excellent patience shown by the Army in the Valley.
To a query, the Army chief said Jammu and Kashmir had a different terrain causing frequent intrusion of militants but the Indian force had been giving befitting reply to such elements. Kashmir was, is and will be an integral part of India, he said.
He also said Indian Army is undertaking modernisation of equipment for surveillance along both Pakistan and China borders. The government has been funding defence equipment without any issue, he added.
Speaking at the ceremony, the Army chief commended the outstanding performance of Maratha Light Infantry right since the First World War in all operational and peacetime commitments.
He said that both Indian and Chinese troops were present in Dokalam, but were not in an “eyeball-to- eyeball” contact.
General Rawat said there had been a disengagement of troops of both countries in Dokalam, where the two sides were locked in a stand-off that ended in August.
“There has been a disengagement on the condition that we will both disengage so that there is no face-to-face contact.
So, that disengagement has taken place,” he said.
“The PLA (People’s Liberation Army) is still at Dokalam, but they are at a reasonable distance from us and we are not in eyeball-to-eyeball contact,” the Army chief said.
There was a military stand-off between India and China at Dokalam on the tri-junction of the Indian, Chinese and Bhutanese borders but it had ended after 71 days in August.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.