‘Operation all-out’ to continue: DGP

‘Operation all-out’ to continue: DGP

‘Juveniles won’t be lodged in lock-ups’

Srinagar: J&K Director-General of Police (DGP) SP Vaid said on Thursday that ‘Operation all-out’ against militants will continue till there is complete peace in the state.
Speaking to reporters, the DGP said that the situation in J&K was “much better” compared to last year.
Asked whether the militants had changed their strategy in the aftermath of ‘Operation all-out’ and in the wake of a suicide attack on district police lines Pulwama recently, he said that if the militants change tactics, so would the security forces.
“In a situation like this, every one changes their tactics. We will also change, do not worry,” he said.
On whether there were reports or apprehensions of law and order problems in the Valley in the wake of NIA raids, the DGP said people were, instead, “very appreciative” of the actions of the NIA.
“The people are very appreciative of this act of the agency and are asking why it was not done much earlier,” Vaid said.
Vaid also said that juvenile offenders, including stone-pelters, will not be lodged in police lock-ups.
Special juvenile units have been constituted in all police stations across the state, he said.
If the offender is a juvenile, he will not be lodged in a police lock-up, Vaid told reporters on the sidelines of a two-day training workshop of special juvenile police units at the police headquarters in Srinagar.
The district superintendent of police is in charge and one inspector in each district heads the juvenile unit, Vaid informed.
“In each police station we have appointed a child welfare officer and I am sure these officers will contribute towards proper handling of such cases,” the DGP added.
He said that the figures of juvenile offenders in the state were not immediately available with him but added that “it is quite a bit… in hundreds”.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.